Options

another portrait attempt

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited May 13, 2007 in People
Hello again all :wave

It's been awhile. but here is my latest and greatest. we are doing a portrait unit in Photojournalism and this is what i came up with. Any critique would be fantastic since i enjoy portraiture and the challenges that come with it.

my best friend Jasmine:

151670945-L.jpg

DanielB
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    gmonkehgmonkeh Registered Users Posts: 312 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    I like the image overall great work. Lighting is good, and I like the way you framed the shot. It would have been nice to get more detail in her eyes though. What color are they?

Lex
    edit:

I just took a closer look and I noticed that her pupils are dilated. A nice trick to get some iris detail is to use a table lamp and position it behind the camera and shine it on her eyes. This will make sure that her pupils will contract. That or turn up your modeling lights a little bit.
    http://www.reverbphotography.com
    Nikon D300
    Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8
    Nikkor 80-200 AF-D ED f/2.8
    2 Alien Bees AB800
    Nikon Speedlight SB800
    Elinchrome Skyport Triggers
  • Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Daniel, I like the photo. Quite a pretty girl in a good pose. The light is a bit bright but than again she looks like a bright girl.

This is where I'd finish my comment normally but you have had this in your post "we are doing a portrait unit in Photojournalism".

This is where this photo fails. Sorry but this is a studio portrait there is no "photojournalism" component to it. Think it over.
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    I like the composition. She is a pretty girl.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Zombie lighting! That's what they call lighting from below. It's usually not very attractive for portraits, but I don't think it's too bad for this one. I would rather have the light coming from above though.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    Daniel, I like the photo. Quite a pretty girl in a good pose. The light is a bit bright but than again she looks like a bright girl.

This is where I'd finish my comment normally but you have had this in your post "we are doing a portrait unit in Photojournalism".

This is where this photo fails. Sorry but this is a studio portrait there is no "photojournalism" component to it. Think it over.
    not so much a photojournalistic portrait as i mean that while we do photojournalism for our newspaper and yearbook our teacher wants us to play around with portraiture as well so she had us do this unit. basicly off the beaten path from our usual shots.thumb.gif

thanks for the advice
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    Zombie lighting! That's what they call lighting from below. It's usually not very attractive for portraits, but I don't think it's too bad for this one. I would rather have the light coming from above though.
    lol3.gif i'll try to keep that in mind next time. not like i'm trying to make excuses but the rod was broken on one of the lights so it had to be from about 2ft off the ground but i had the other one about 7ft up. and was working with a softbox too but i think i had it on a little bit too low because some of the harsher shadows still came through.thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 12, 2007
    nice, dan'lb-

and so's the shot-
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    gefillmore wrote:
    nice, dan'lb-

and so's the shot-

thanks george :D nice to see you around
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    Hi Daniel, good to see you! Not a typical portrait with the unusual lighting, but it's still effective in it's own way. Cute friend. Great eye contact....I could be mistaken, but with those pupils dilated the way they are, it sure looks like she's got a thing going for the photographer!!! mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    I could be mistaken, but with those pupils dilated the way they are, it sure looks like she's got a thing going for the photographer!!! mwink.gif

shhh i'm secretly workin on that part.thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 13, 2007
    DanielB wrote:
    lol3.gif i'll try to keep that in mind next time. not like i'm trying to make excuses but the rod was broken on one of the lights so it had to be from about 2ft off the ground but i had the other one about 7ft up. and was working with a softbox too but i think i had it on a little bit too low because some of the harsher shadows still came through.thumb.gif

It's not an excuse, it's a fact. Your equipment wasn't what you wanted or
    expected but you made the best with what you had.

Making due when things aren't what you expect is a valuable skill to have.
    It's the difference between success and failure.

My only comment is that I think the face is a bit too OE. Look at the
    shoulders and then the face. You'll see. Otherwise, it's a very nice
    portrait.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    It's not an excuse, it's a fact. Your equipment wasn't what you wanted or
    expected but you made the best with what you had.

Making due when things aren't what you expect is a valuable skill to have.
    It's the difference between success and failure.

My only comment is that I think the face is a bit too OE. Look at the
    shoulders and then the face. You'll see. Otherwise, it's a very nice
    portrait.

thanks ianthumb.gif actually her face was darker than that on the origional i just brought it up some to make it pop a little more. i'll see what i can do and post a re-work.
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    Hi Daniel!

Nice best friend you have there! :D

I like your picture of her a lot, the slightly tilted composition, and the fact you've included her hands too, are things that I really enjoy in portraits.

Thanks so much for sharing!
    Take care!

-- thiago
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    It looks as if you missed the focus. Her fingers are in perfect focus, but her eyes are not. Unless you were trying to make that french manicure the main subject.:D
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D