Options

Exif trauma...

photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
edited May 12, 2007 in Dgrin Forum Support
Hi, I just spend another two hours on trying to get the exif to fit my lousy challenge entry. I think I will not win, as there are so much really great shots in there... but I want to stretch myself.

Now I did read the thread of how to include the exif, somehow, it does not work. I use lightroom to import my pics on the computer, it shows the correct exif in LR, but I can only take a screendump of the settings.

When I export the image to my desktop so I can upload it to smugmug gallery, it gives the date of the export time. Not the original snapping date.

Which means probably that if I want to use a photograph for a dgrin challenge that I have to open it up in photoshop the first time... or find a way to export the exif out of lightroom to a place where i can find it back... I can export the exif to a file, but I don't know where lightroom places those files.

Any help from other lightroom users would be appreciated. Or is my single braincell not working today?????

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Two hours? 'Cat, why didn't you just holler before lol3.gif we're here to help you, my dear thumb.gif
    Processed just now in LR.

151675318-L.jpg

Exif:
    http://www.moonriverphotography.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=151675318

Be SURE not to check the box that says minimize embedded metadata naughty.gif
    151675044-L.jpg

Lightroom doesn't "place the file" YOU decide where you want it thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2007
    I read you loud and clear... I know how to export files, and I know where to put them. My problem is if I want to export the side files, with the exif, LR puts those somewhere, and I have no clue where...
    Where do you find that exif link? I know how to share with groups or forums, and how to take the big link or whatever link you need... I have troubles though to find and replace the exif link...

I clicked on your link for your exif file and all I see is a black screen...
    sigh, it has been a long week! ;o))))
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 11, 2007
    photocat wrote:
    I have troubles though to find and replace the exif link...

I clicked on your link for your exif file and all I see is a black screen...
    sigh, it has been a long week! ;o))))
    The exif link you're seeing on the contest entries is a Smugmug link... not really anything to do with Lightroom. So I'm confused as to what you are having trouble with.

You've posted your photo in a SmugMug gallery. check!

Now all you need to do is link to the exif there in your gallery. Easy!

Here's a link to help you (straight from LPS rules):
    http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/HowToSeeExif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited May 11, 2007
    photocat wrote:
    just testing, I will delete this post after I see it...

151670160-L.jpg

Exif:

http://photocat.smugmug.com/photos/newexif.mg?ImageID=151670160

WOOOHOOOOO, the exif link works, except it does not give me the date, and the date is what you guys want... I must be doing something wrong in LR...
    I think... I have pasted the exif link in my text application, for future reference...

I will get there in the end!
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2007
    Thanks Andy and Erik for the help...
    My problem lies in the fact that when I export the photograph out of lightroom into a folder on my computer, it makes a new date, it uses the date from the moment I hit the export button...
    If I want the real exif, I need to make a screendump of my lightroom screen... (correct me if I am wrong), and it would look like this, and this does not look good when I post one of my photographs in the challenge entry...
    Maybe I should just quit entering, grin, as my work is not nearly as good as what has been posted in that thread today... It means I have another fourteen days to figure out how to do it... Maybe I need to go back to just photoshop for the possible files I want to use for challenges, as photoshop keeps the exif... it is LR that is killing me here!
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Be SURE not to check the box that says minimize embedded metadata naughty.gif

Hi Cat....I don't use Lightroom (yet!) so I don't know what's going on, but looking at your link suggests you may have done what Andy warned you NOT to do???? I hope it's that simple! Don't be so hard on yourself....I love this image! :D
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    photocat wrote:
    Thanks Andy and Erik for the help...
    My problem lies in the fact that when I export the photograph out of lightroom into a folder on my computer, it makes a new date, it uses the date from the moment I hit the export button...
    If I want the real exif, I need to make a screendump of my lightroom screen... (correct me if I am wrong), and it would look like this, and this does not look good when I post one of my photographs in the challenge entry...
    Maybe I should just quit entering, grin, as my work is not nearly as good as what has been posted in that thread today... It means I have another fourteen days to figure out how to do it... Maybe I need to go back to just photoshop for the possible files I want to use for challenges, as photoshop keeps the exif... it is LR that is killing me here!
    Yeah you are busting the exif in your LR conversion. Preserve exif. It's in the file. Dunno what else to say, I'll keep looking for different settings, but my screen grab above should say it all...
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    Cat...I see you have entered the challenge but your EXIF is not showing. Here's what I see:

Not Found
    The requested URL /photos/newexif.mg was not found on this server.

Apache/1.3.31 Server at www.photocat.com Port 80