Options

How To Get the eyes to pop like this?

Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
edited December 27, 2007 in Finishing School
Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
BLOG

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 11, 2007
    Cutie,
    I have moved this to Finishing School as that is most likely where you will ge the help you are seeking.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 11, 2007

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    A couple of them are way overdone, IMHO.

In one of the magazines, I have a tutorial on eyes. Other than brightening the whites, it involved putting eyeliner around the eyes and the pupils, creating catchlights, and boosting the color. A bunch of steps. But I'd have to find the magazine to tell you the precise moves.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    dograttydogratty Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 12, 2007
    eyepoppin'
    Cuties02q wrote:
    Just wondering if anyone know how this photographer gets the eyes to pop like this???

http://alwblog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/04/25/15.jpg
    http://alwblog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2_56.jpg
    http://alwblog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/3_40.jpg
    http://alwblog.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/1_89_2.jpg

Looks likek the eyes are over sharpened, with graduated softening radiating from there out.
    a bit overdone though, imho...
  • Options
    CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    According to Audrey, she does nothing. rolleyes1.gif

Read here:

http://alwblog.typepad.com/blogging_with_audrey/2006/04/eyes.html
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 12, 2007
    RTP wrote:

Read here:

very interesting-

my next assignment with the grandkids!-
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    According to Audrey, she does nothing.

That is why I am asking here because it doesn't really look natural or like anything I have seen headscratch.gif

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited May 12, 2007
    Notice the size of the pupils, which are very small. It would appear that she is using a very large reflector of some sort, possibly an automotive sunshade or something like that. From the size of the catch lights, it also appears to be very close to the subject.

This is somewhat contrary to fill flash, which generally produces larger pupils that most folks find preferable.

Other than that, she is using large aperture lenses and is very careful to focus on the eyes, which is usual. (Shallow DOF)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 13, 2007
    I have read in other threads about portraits, that using a large, bright light source ( beauty dish maybe?) keeps the pupil small ( of course, duh!!).

But that also lets the viewer see the iris detail rather than a dark larger pupil, and the brighter light to the eyes helps as there is frequently shading of the eyes in some photos.ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    Like Ziggy mentioned, she is probably using reflector(s) and some fast glass.

Her site claims that...Chicago children's photographer Audrey Woulard is an on-location photographer that specializes in natural light commercial photography for babies and children.
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

• Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    Thanks everyone!!! I do think that some of hers are overdone but sometimes I notice my kids eyes look dark or hard to see so I am looking to get results somewhat like hers headscratch.gif

Here is an example of my dd!!
    151287903-L-3.jpg

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    darluowdarluow Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Its really not that hard to get great light in the eyes.

Have your subject face the lightsource. Be mindful of what is behind you. Multiplie catchlights add sparkle to the eyes. Shallow depth of field causes the viewer to focus on the eyes.

In this image of your daughter... what is she looking at? What is in front of her? If she isn't facing the light source...then her eyes will be dark.

Try to be mindful of your surroundings before you snap the shutter...and it will help you predict your results a bit better.

For me.. I am very aware of the light source. I really try to look at my subjects faces before I snap the shutter. In my workshops, I show images that I captured right as I upload them.. so no.. no photoshop "over-doing". (in fact.. you hotlinked a few examples I captured right at one of my workshops..)

By the way.... I don't own a reflector! :)

Hope that helps!

~A

Cuties02q wrote:
    Thanks everyone!!! I do think that some of hers are overdone but sometimes I notice my kids eyes look dark or hard to see so I am looking to get results somewhat like hers headscratch.gif

Here is an example of my dd!!
    151287903-L-3.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    Thanks for all you info :D I do try to have them facing the light but my daughter cannot look toward the light or she panics headscratch.gif So I try and keep her in the shade but then her eyes seem to look dark.

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Cuties02q wrote:
    Thanks for all you info :D I do try to have them facing the light but my daughter cannot look toward the light or she panics headscratch.gif So I try and keep her in the shade but then her eyes seem to look dark.

Yes, I went and looked at a number of my portraits, and the thing I noticed is where there is strong light, it seems impossible to keep them from squinting. So how do you get good light on the face, and on the eyes in particular, without squinting?
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    Cuties02q wrote:

Thats why. The eyes are dark because they are shaded. I think if you have a child that is very sensative to light.. perhaps a reflector would work better for you. Also you want to make sure they are facing ambient light... which doesn't always mean the VERY bright light.

For example.. if you are taking a child's picture..and there is a brick wall behind you...therefore the wall is what the child is facing.. then their eyes will be dark.

You want to look for open shade.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    Yes, I went and looked at a number of my portraits, and the thing I noticed is where there is strong light, it seems impossible to keep them from squinting. So how do you get good light on the face, and on the eyes in particular, without squinting?

Good light doesn't equal strong light. You want to look for ambient light.

For example...when shooting outdoors...I wouldn't have a child look towards the sun (i.e. strong light...). I would rather place the sun behind my subject.. but there wouldn't be anything blocking the ambient lighting that faces my subject.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    RTP wrote:

Read here:

Man, I confess it's hard to believe. I guess I'd need to practice Audrey's technique myself.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Welcome to dgrin Audrey!
    Have to say that after reading this post, I immediately went to your site. It's a shame that all of your workshops are booked - it would be great to learn some of these techniques hands-on. I've got an 18 month old who I'm constantly trying to get this type of effect on.

Couple of questions:
    From the photos on your site, it appears that the studio gets incredible light. Is it also just large white walls to act as natural reflectors and get that effect on the eyes?
    As far as 'gear', I checked the exif on some photos and saw that many are with a 50mm or 85mm focal length (on the Fuji's cropped frame). Are these your main staples? I would have guessed 100-135mm lenses...

Do you have any other guides/DVDs available in lieu of attending a workshop in Chicago?
    Thanks,
    E

Two of my more successful attempts with my son:
    151275094-S.jpg

149300977-S.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    Hey Audrey. Your post count is way too low to have been here for a year and half! :D

You have some serious talent and I know that the DGRIN community would benefit from your knowledge.

Like wxwax said, I too will be practicing this technique.
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

• Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    OMG!!! I didn't even realize that it was you Audrey giving me advice...I cannot tell you how much I apprecaite it!!! I have admired your work for the past 2 years and I cannot tell you how dissapointed I am that your workshops are full because I would love to attend. I just really want to learn how to make their eyes pop and you do such a wonderful job :D

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    eoren1 wrote:
    Welcome to dgrin Audrey!

Couple of questions:
    From the photos on your site, it appears that the studio gets incredible light. Is it also just large white walls to act as natural reflectors and get that effect on the eyes?
    As far as 'gear', I checked the exif on some photos and saw that many are with a 50mm or 85mm focal length (on the Fuji's cropped frame). Are these your main staples? I would have guessed 100-135mm lenses...

Do you have any other guides/DVDs available in lieu of attending a workshop in Chicago?
    Thanks,
    E

Love that last image of your son!

As for gear.. I have 3 camera bodies that I tend to shift through... depends on what camera I grab first out of my bag! So it is either the Nikon D200, Fuji S5, or the Nikon D2X. My favorite lens is the 85mm 1.4... I don't use the 50mm too much. It depends on the conditions I am shooting in. When on location.. some homes just don't allow me to utilize the 85mm properly because the focal length is too long.

As for my studio... its tons of windows...26 windows that are 6ft tall. I don't have many white walls...mostly reddish brick.

With DVD's...etc.. it is definitely in the works. I just can't give workshops too much anymore because my schedule just doesn't allow me to do so.

RTP - :) I would love to post more here! It seems like a great community. I actually just came back here after my assistant found all these hits to my blog from here...and I am sitting on the PC waiting for my next appointment to arrive!

~A
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Thanks for the kind words Audrey.
    I'll definately be on the lookout for that DVDclap.gif.

You should also consider looking at other areas of dgrin. There's a contest under the Contests and Challenges section going on for the 'best' photographer. I had imagined some contributions from you - especially for the latest theme (translucent...eyes). Hate to invite such a strong competitor to the contest but you may find it a lot of fun.
    E
  • Options
    kda949kda949 Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 15, 2007
    It's called appropriatly "Eye Pop"
    Cuties02q wrote:

It's called "Eye Pop". You do it in photoshop with a layer mask. You duplicate the layer and change the style to color dodge- or any that look good (just look at the eyes- ignore everything else). Then "Layer". "Layer Mask", "Hide all". Change your forground color to white, select a brush and start painting away at those eyeballs. The layer that you masked will start to show up. Fiddle with opasity and hardness until you get the result you want.

Here are my first attempts at it. A little overdone but fun!

http://flickr.com/photos/34792747@N00/473843403/
    http://flickr.com/photos/34792747@N00/491887524/

Hope that's what your looking for!
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    kda949 wrote:
    It's called "Eye Pop". You do it in photoshop with a layer mask. You duplicate the layer and change the style to color dodge- or any that look good (just look at the eyes- ignore everything else). Then "Layer". "Layer Mask", "Hide all". Change your forground color to white, select a brush and start painting away at those eyeballs. The layer that you masked will start to show up. Fiddle with opasity and hardness until you get the result you want.

Here are my first attempts at it. A little overdone but fun!

http://flickr.com/photos/34792747@N00/473843403/
    http://flickr.com/photos/34792747@N00/491887524/

Hope that's what your looking for!

Yes, but she says she does this WITHOUT Photoshop!
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    I'm soooo glad to see that Audrey W responded to the OP! I'm also a huge fan and hope to see more input from you, Audrey! Please stick around...we're not too scary around here! :D

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited May 19, 2007
    Ok here is another try on my daughters eyes...what do you guys think???

Color
    153891062-L.jpg

Black & White
    153891069-L.jpg

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2007
    clap.gifclap.gif Hey, much better!!!! That huge light source is the key!!! I can see her irises clearly now. Good job! :D
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2007
    Quite a difference, cuties, looks good!
    Sid.
  • Options
    Six BeesSix Bees Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2007
    Cuties02q wrote:
    Ok here is another try on my daughters eyes...what do you guys think???

I think you did a great job!!!!
  • Options
    edited May 20, 2007
    thumb.gif

Big difference.

Now you need to get that DOF locked in. Her left eye is a little OOF. That's probably the result of having it at a low apereture and being pretty close to her.

This is just my observation...I noticed that majorty of Audrey's shots are straight on. Meaning that the eyes are the same distance to the sensor. If there is a slight head turn the eyes are still in focus. Probably due to being far enough from the subject and increasing the DOF.

Also, she does a good bit of camera tilts. I guess that is to give the straight on shots some flavor.

However, there is no rule to having both eyes in focus.
    Cason

www.casongarner.com