Options

G'day all ... pls tell me what you think

pseudonympseudonym Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited February 7, 2005 in Technique
Hi all

I'm a newly registered member of smugmug and (as you can no doubt see) a first time poster here.

I'm a hobbyist photographer, more of a collector of memories than anything else, (by no stretch a professional, amateur is even a bit much :D) but I am always interested in learning new things and getting generally better at things I do, so if anyone wants to swing by http://pseudonym.smugmug.com and give me some general pointers on what makes a good shot I'd be most appreciative.

My pics are mostly of my travels around the place, one I particularly like is this one of a stave church in Norway, what do y'all think ?? I took it with an old olympus point and shoot about 3 years ago

Small

cheers

Colin
edit: guess I can't link to my pics with a standard account.

Comments

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Welcome to Smugmug and DGrin!

This is a great shot. I can see why its one of your favorites.

You can link to pictures w/ the standard account. Just make sure you have exit links turned on.

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    Welcome to Smugmug and DGrin!

This is a great shot. I can see why its one of your favorites.

You can link to pictures w/ the standard account. Just make sure you have exit links turned on.

Dave
    well thanks for that dkapp, external links ya say? well let me take a look around my account settings before I make myself look like a dork by asking how I do that :D

Colin
    Edit: think I figured it out (and it wasn't in my account settings after all mwink.gif)

here's the test, this was taken on my new pentax optio s5i, I was messing with the filters on it and trying to set the apeture(sp?) to blur the background/end of the fence (at least I got the filter to work ne_nau.gif). I am still getting the hang of using my new (first) digital camera)

15455938-S.jpg
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    pseudonym wrote:
    well thanks for that dkapp, external links ya say? well let me take a look around my account settings before I make myself look like a dork by asking how I do that :D

Colin

Welcome Colin. It's really quite easy to "direct-link" images from smugmug to dgrin.

At the bottom of each image in smugmug, is a button "Share with friends, forums". Click that. At the bottom of the next page you will see a series of hyperlinks, one for each size image you'd like to post. Copy the link that you want.

Then, go to dgrin, create a post, and when you want to post an image, type...

[img ][/img]paste the link you copied from smugmug here

You'll want to omit the spaces after the g in each of the brackets. I inserted those so the tags would show up as text in the example.

There are other ways to insert images too, but harder to explain. :)

"Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Bloody 'ell...another 0zzie clap.gif bout flamin' time. Welcome to Dgrin colin.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    cheers for the welcome guys,

fish: yeah I read the thread about putting images into posts that's in another post not so far down this page I thought I had it squared away ... I was wrong :D

got it sorted now though, including how to turn on the linking thing.

Humungus: do I still count as an aussie if I don't live in Australia (I'll be ex-pat in 16 days)

thanks again

Colin
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    pseudonym wrote:
    cheers for the welcome guys,

fish: yeah I read the thread about putting images into posts that's in another post not so far down this page I thought I had it squared away ... I was wrong :D

got it sorted now though, including how to turn on the linking thing.

Humungus: do I still count as an aussie if I don't live in Australia (I'll be ex-pat in 16 days)

thanks again

Colin

As long as you eat heaps of vegemite & drink your coffee through a tim tam....you will remain an 0zzie.
  • Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    cute!! What a nice tasteful, colour rich photo!!
    wave.gif Welcome to dgrin, may you enjoy many fine photographic moments!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    I can never explain it, but some shots have a "magical" feel to them it seems, this is one of them. I like the richness and saturation, and the compostion. thumb.gif

AJ
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 7, 2005
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 7, 2005
    Welcome Colin.

Some very nice photographs. You will no doubt pick up many pointers here from a great group of people and perhaps share some of your own.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    what are exit links?
    What dkapp meant to write was "External Links"
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    digismile wrote:
    What dkapp meant to write was "External Links"
    yup, and it really is as simple to turn them on as fish says (in case there were any doubts :D).

Thanks for all your kind words guys, as I said that pic of the church is probably my favourit of my 3-400+ pic I took while in Europe, and it is not at all unfair to say it was a complete fluke (the rest of my galleries are not particularly spectacular mwink.gif). I would love to really 'know' what makes a picture like that look cool where other ones are not so cool, might make it easier to do it again that way :D.

all in good fun

Colin