An Idea for the Judges of LPS

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited May 13, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I was just thinking that a common question that comes up during and after each LPS round is 'what are the judges thinking for this theme' or 'how would they interpret it'. What if the judges contributed their own best shot after the round finished and the tabulatron did its thing?

These would not be entered into the LPS so as to not introduce bias and the judges would not submit their photos before the round closed and votes were cast. However, it would certainly help us understand how each judge interpreted the theme. Also, it might make the process more fun for those judging.

Just a thought.
E

Comments

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    I need at least a little bit of time to sleep. Your idea would take even that small luxury away mwink.gif

Judges do enough already without having to add to that workload. And judges currently have the option to provide written feedback if they so desire. Many often add what their own criteria on judging was when they made their picks. So you get a lot of feedback already without having to add another whole level to it.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    Duly noted
    Hey Shay,
    It was just a thought to allow the judges a chance to exercise their creative juices and take part in each round without interfering with the job of judging. I appreciate that judging does take away from time otherwise spent working, with family and photographing. After reading your recent car breakdown story, I'm amazed you and the other judges find the time for this!
    Anyway, it wasn't meant to add to the heavy workload but to make the rounds more fun for all involved.
    Thanks for the reply,
    E
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    Judgement Day
    I'd be up for that. It's a great idea...it would be an interesting tool for others, almost like a text book.
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    damonff wrote:
    I'd be up for that. It's a great idea...it would be an interesting tool for others, almost like a text book.

Yes, and I worry it would be too much like a text book. One of the reasons the judges are asked not to comment during the challenge period is to allow the photographers to follow their own creativity. If the judges start giving examples of how to do this or that, then people may stop using their own creativity and just ape what the judges are saying or doing.

I would like to limit the influence the judges have to the bare minimum.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    Yes, and I worry it would be too much like a text book. One of the reasons the judges are asked not to comment during the challenge period is to allow the photographers to follow their own creativity. If the judges start giving examples of how to do this or that, then people may stop using their own creativity and just ape what the judges are saying or doing.

I would like to limit the influence the judges have to the bare minimum.

Shay, I agree that you don't want the judges to influence the challenge, but the OP did have "After" the judging was over. Off course, the judge's comments normally do the same thing.

But here's a hint to the folks that are wondering what the Judges will like. Go to they're web sites, and I'll bet that you can get some ideas about their tastes from that.:D
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.