Options

Cemetery findings

Deanna AlkoDeanna Alko Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
edited May 14, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
Decided to walk around a local cemetery and quickly became enamored with the many different water spigots available. Of course, headstones were not in short supply either. C&C appreciated... (esp. the processing on the IR images) Thanks.

Take care,
- Deanna

151607896-M.jpg

151878353-M.jpg

151607922-M.jpg

151878183-M.jpg

151607943-M.jpg

151878163-M.jpg

151878388-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    So you found a theme within a theme!!! Great shots. I noticed the spigots when I visited our local cemetary, too. They made handy perches for the birds I ended up shooting. The birds were my unexpected find at a cemetary. :D
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    I really like the 2nd shot, really cool processing.thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    Oh thats funny...I just processed an IR shot with the same tones as your #2 this week. I wanted to try something different - I ended up with the same red hue sky and bluish vegitation.

Nice angles.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    Decided to walk around a local cemetery and quickly became enamored with the many different water spigots available. Of course, headstones were not in short supply either. C&C appreciated... (esp. the processing on the IR images) Thanks.

Take care,
    - Deanna

Hi Deanna, I particuallary like your IR Shots, the second shot in the series looks great clap.gif and in the last IR Shot I noticed you've captured the water drops in mid air dripping into the drain :D Well Done!

.... Nice Work Deanna .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    Nice images. I really like the 2nd shot! clap.gif

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the feedback.

- Susan - no birds on the spigots here (at least not yet) they were all busy in the grass a whole cluster of them however, once I was set to snap a picture they all flew off. I've got to hand it to the nature & wildlife folks!

- Marina and tlee - thank you again. I'm still unsure about how to handle the IR world but I'm glad you liked it.
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    in the last IR Shot I noticed you've captured the water drops in mid air dripping into the drain
    .... Skippy

Thanks Skippy! I was excited about the water drops and in PP used a layer set to blending mode - vibrant light, just to help them stand out a little more.
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    Mr. 2H2O wrote:
    Oh thats funny...I just processed an IR shot with the same tones as your #2 this week. I wanted to try something different - I ended up with the same red hue sky and bluish vegitation.

Nice angles.

- Mike

IThanks Mike. If you wouldn't mind posting it, I'd love to see your image :D
    Additionally, if you would share your processing technique I'd appreciate it. I used selective color adj. working on the neutral option and curves but I'm not sure this was the best way?

Take care,
    - Deanna
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    Deanna,
    I am attaching the image I had been working on. One of my iterations was with blue foilage but I ended up with green.

The workflow is really up to your own eye and pleasure. sometimes I'll do a B&W, sometimes a hue, sometimes try to stretch a colorful image.

Lately, I've been enjoying the channel swap method by going into channel mixer and I have traditionally switched the blue and red channels to give a blue sky and white foilage.

For this one, I chose to switch the blue and green channels and leave the red alone. In my white balance on the camera, I use a target which allows for some blues and greens to register on the bayer pattern. Since I shoot a Sony F717, my only option is jpg. After the channel swap, I play with the color temperature and saturation just to give it a more pleasing look. Then I use an edge effect to pop the outline of the leaves. I use PSP 9.0.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    Wow! clap.gif

Mike thank you for posting and sharing your technique, I'll have to give this a try!

Regards,
    - Deanna
  • Options
    DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    I especially like the second image! I think it would have worked as a "normal" photo, the IR processing just puts it over the top! thumb.gif
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    I especially like the second image! I think it would have worked as a "normal" photo, the IR processing just puts it over the top! thumb.gif

Thanks for taking the time to comment, Dalantech!