Options

Rust

ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
edited February 25, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
A little Barbed wire on a post , I just had to shoot it.I am still not happy with the results from various angles, so I will endevour to conquer this foe with the help of you all.

2524154-M.jpg

Click on pic for larger file.

Cheers,
Tim

Comments

• Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    A little Barbed wire on a post , I just had to shoot it.I am still not happy with the results from various angles, so I will endevour to conquer this foe with the help of you all.

Cheers,
    Tim
    Tough one! Great subject and great colors/lighting but difficult to adjust the composition. Here is a stab at a crop, but I don't think it does justice. Still you might like it.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited February 23, 2004
    Shakey wrote:

2524154-M.jpg

Cheers,
    Tim
    I like the warm tones and the side light - but I think you may need more - lots more - depth of field? These things always catch our eye, but are hard to translate into great images - for me at leastlickout.gif Or perhaps shoot the wire from the front against the post to capture the color of the light without the harsh shadows.......

Heres one of mine for critique... turn about is only fair lickout.gif

2522909-L.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2004
    Thank you for the replies. Yes it is something that caught my eye but did not transfer well from my eye to the camera.

Maybe I need to strap a camera to my head like some old night vision goggles so I can only see the world in 1 dimension. :D Who knows it might help me from chasing my photographic tail.rolleyes1.gif

I will take another stab at it ,this time with some more depth and see how that goes. I am hoping for some cloud formations this week as opposed to the pure blue cloudless skies we have had for a while now,that could be the difference.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    Thank you for the replies. Yes it is something that caught my eye but did not transfer well from my eye to the camera.

Maybe I need to strap a camera to my head like some old night vision goggles so I can only see the world in 1 dimension. :D Who knows it might help me from chasing my photographic tail.rolleyes1.gif
    You are absolutely correct, Shakey, that when we see something and then take a picture of it that we expect the picture to look like what we "SAW" and are frequently disappointed in the disparity. But much of that difference comes from not understanding the difference between our - human - binocular vision and the way we move our central focus around over time to construct an image in our mind and the instantaneous non-moving instant in time and instant in direction and flat image that a camera captures in a fraction of a second - They are truly very different but learning that they ARE different is not intuitive. Also the human eye has much greater range of exposure latitude and hence can see into shadows much better than film or imaging sensors if the shadow is surrounded by bright lighting. Practice, practice, practice.

I have a frame of a wire fence on a post at home I'll try to post it tonight for comparison.

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2004
    Rust never sleeps.

17005-O-2.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Rust never sleeps.

17005-O-2.jpg
    Have you tried this with side lighting? Laughing.gif Was this shot with flash? But certainly not with a Nikon camera, right?lickout.gif

• Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Have you tried this with side lighting? Laughing.gif Was this shot with flash? But certainly not with a Nikon camera, right?lickout.gif

boy...can't fool you.:D
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2004
    Shakey wrote:

2524154-M.jpg

Cheers,
    Tim
    I did a little playing around with it and you mighht like using some filters on it. If nothing else its fun to see what you can come up with.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    I did a little playing around with it and you mighht like using some filters on it. If nothing else its fun to see what you can come up with.
    I like what the filter did to the sky on the right side - kind of toned its brightness down some....

I told you I had a image of fence post and wire also so here it is .....
    2536153-L.jpg

• Options
    edited February 23, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    I like what the filter did to the sky on the right side - kind of toned its brightness down some....

I told you I had a image of fence post and wire also so here it is .....
    2536153-L.jpg
    The filter effect worked good for that shot thanks,Greaper.
    Here is another shot(same day of the same post) but back a few ,not as rich as pathfinders post but looking a little better IMO.
    2537088-M.jpg

Below is my personal favorite Post of a Post:D .Sorry coud not resist.
    With wordplay this bad I might have to POSTpone my standup comedy career.
    2384017-M.jpg

Cheers ,
    Tim
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2004
    Here is another rendition the shot. Hope you don't mind me playing around with it.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2004
    Now that's an interesting idea. Did you do it using a mask? ear.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2004
    Easier than using a layer.....I desaturated the shot, then used the history brush over the rusted wire. It's a technique I use alot and works well with the filters when you want to expose some of the original shot. Attached is another example.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2004
    thumb.gif Top tip, as Humungous might say! Excellent. That solves a lot of problems for me. Thanks.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au