32 - does this fit the criteria?

SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
edited February 8, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hi folks,

This is going to be a hard challenge:scratch

A quick first attempt: does this fit?

15481452-L.jpg

If I took it in black / white from camera settings perhaps it would qualify?

Comments

• SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    B&W

15483282-L.jpg

Is this too colorful?

15483285-L.jpg

Third choice: perhaps in b&w?

15483288-L.jpg

I used auto levels and contrast in elements + sharpening. Is this too much photoshop?
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 7, 2005
    you bring up what I think will be a very pertinent issue in this challenge - conversion to B&W (allowable by the "no photoshop" rules).

For my two cents, I'd say it's almost a waste. In other words, I wouldn't vote for a winner in a "predominant color" challenge what was converted to monochrome. Hope that doesn't come across as snooty, just my thought.

As for your shots, I think the Festina has potential, especially because you took care to make sure the background color was correct. The bits of green make it pop, but don't distract from the underlying silver theme.

(BTW, nice watch, I have a red-faced chrono Festina :D)
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited February 7, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    you bring up what I think will be a very pertinent issue in this challenge - conversion to B&W (allowable by the "no photoshop" rules).

For my two cents, I'd say it's almost a waste. In other words, I wouldn't vote for a winner in a "predominant color" challenge what was converted to monochrome. Hope that doesn't come across as snooty, just my thought.

As for your shots, I think the Festina has potential, especially because you took care to make sure the background color was correct. The bits of green make it pop, but don't distract from the underlying silver theme.

(BTW, nice watch, I have a red-faced chrono Festina :D)
    Thanks for the feedback. The first one is my entry so thumb.gif .
  • blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    But if he has the 20D it has B&W mode built in with color filters so you don't have to use photoshop
    edited February 7, 2005
    But if he has the 20D it has B&W mode built in with color filters so you don't have to use photoshop
    Right, I think you misread my post. It's of course OK, all our no-photoshop challenges have always been ok with black and white conversion, as long as its simple. what I was stressing is that I don't think a monochromed image would have a lot of impact for this theme.
    Erik

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    predominant color means "color" of some sort that dominates the photograph
    edited February 7, 2005
    andy wrote:
    predominant color means "color" of some sort that dominates the photograph
    and there you have it. he speaks. :D
    Erik

• BryanBryan Registered Users Posts: 153 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    and there you have it. he speaks. :D
    Yeah headscratch.gif
    edited February 7, 2005
    I'm going to wait and see what everyone else does with this challenge.headscratch.gif
  • hqsbudhqsbud Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    I like your first watch one more than the flower, maybe only because I have an embarassing weakness for fine time pieces. I feel it would be improved by cranking down the apeture, even f/8 to f/10, and not using macro mode (I'm guessing on that one) to make every detail sharp. Crop if you have to if you can't get close enough to the watch without macro mode.