Ants at 3x (six images) Part III

DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
edited May 14, 2007 in Holy Macro
I switched between using a 500D diopter and 50mm of extension tubes and a 1.4 teleconverter and 62mm of extension tubes (a little more magnification and working distance with the TC, but the image quality is better with the diopter). Xti in manual mode (F11 for the 500D and F8 for the 1.4TC, 1/200, ISO 200) + 100mm macro lens. MR-14 EX set to a 4:1 ratio and -1/3 FEC controlling a 430EX flash set to -1/3 FEC and with a Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer attached. I used a gold reflector insert to make the light "warmer".

152208047-L.jpg

152208324-L.jpg

152208707-L.jpg

152209070-L.jpg

152209354-L.jpg

152209784-L.jpg
My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    Lovely series of shots. Might be my imagination but you seem to have more reflections in these shots than the previous set.

Brian V.
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    Lovely series of shots. Might be my imagination but you seem to have more reflections in these shots than the previous set.

Brian V.

Yup, reflections were a big problem. With the 2xTC there almost wasn't enough light to expose the image (even though I was using three flash heads) and this time there was too much. Add to the mix some very harsh sunlight that I couldn't completely cut out -I needed some light so I could get the focus. One of those times when I wish I had some sort of diffuser in my bag that I could set up on a tripod...
    My SmugMug Gallery

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    I switched between using a 500D diopter and 50mm of extension tubes and a 1.4 teleconverter and 62mm of extension tubes (a little more magnification and working distance with the TC, but the image quality is better with the diopter). Xti in manual mode (F11 for the 500D and F8 for the 1.4TC, 1/200, ISO 200) + 100mm macro lens. MR-14 EX set to a 4:1 ratio and -1/3 FEC controlling a 430EX flash set to -1/3 FEC and with a Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer attached. I used a gold reflector insert to make the light "warmer".

I wanna know this....... how do you get your ants to stop walking ne_nau.gif
    Because danged if I see them ever sitting still here, those little workers they walk walk walk walk walk.

You got some great magnification there John.

Good Series thumb.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    I wanna know this....... how do you get your ants to stop walking ne_nau.gif
    Because danged if I see them ever sitting still here, those little workers they walk walk walk walk walk.

You got some great magnification there John.

Good Series thumb.gif .... Skippy

Thanks Skippy!

Details on how I shoot them here: http://nocroppingzone.blogspot.com/2007/04/studio-macro.html

The photo of the two ants in a "lip lock" was the toughest -lots of movement. I've seen that behavior before, but yesterday was the first time I was able to capture it and get both of the ant's eyes in focus. I took about nine frames before they broke up. Three were sharp (all eyes in focus) but the one I posted had the best composition -those antenna ruin almost as many shots as bad focus...
    My SmugMug Gallery