Options

Mothers Day Present

destesdestes Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
edited May 16, 2007 in People
Took my two boys to the local park to shoot some pictures for a mothers day present. (pictures of the kids always seem to work :wink )

IMG_3274.jpg

I promised them lunch out if they stayed clean in their good school clothes.

IMG_3289.jpg

2 Vivitar 285HV's, one camera left at 1/2 power through white umbrella, the other camera right, 1/4 power with a diffuser.

Thanks for looking, C&C welcome.
Dale

Canon 30d
EF 28-105mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM II
EF 100-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 USM
Speedlight 380EX
Sekonic L-28c2 Studio Deluxe

http://photography.daleestes.com

Comments

• Options
    Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    hi Dale,

nice shots - they look near the same age as my boys, and boy do they grow fast about then:D

I like the 1st one better for several reasons. The you did a nice job of cropping out most of the graffiti, your older boy's smile looks more relaxed/less forced in the 1st and I like the relaxed poses of the 1st as well. In either case, I imagine "mom" will like them just the same (wish my hubby would do that for me).

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • Options
    HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Nice but...
    they appear a bit flat to me. Other than that, they're great mom's day gifts.

Hinson
    Serving Him by Serving Others
    www.Jerrywhitephotography.com
  • Options
    CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    too many shadows, definitely looks a little flat. the colour seems a little off or something as well? maybe just the location.
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    They were shot under an overpass at a local park. Time was about 11:00 AM. Two Vivitar 285HV strobes, one camera left bounced off a silver umbrealla @ 1/2 power, the other camera right 1/16 power straight on. White balance was set with a Whibal card.

Maybe the flatness is from the lack of color range. To me it looks very monochromatic. Maybe I overlit it? headscratch.gif

Not sure I understand the "too many shadows" comment. ne_nau.gif If I eliminate the shadows, then I think it would really look flat.
    Dale

Canon 30d
    Speedlight 380EX

• Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    Hope you don't mind...
    destes wrote:
    They were shot under an overpass at a local park. Time was about 11:00 AM. Two Vivitar 285HV strobes, one camera left bounced off a silver umbrealla @ 1/2 power, the other camera right 1/16 power straight on. White balance was set with a Whibal card.

Maybe the flatness is from the lack of color range. To me it looks very monochromatic. Maybe I overlit it? headscratch.gif

Not sure I understand the "too many shadows" comment. ne_nau.gif If I eliminate the shadows, then I think it would really look flat.

...but here is an example of what is meant.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    Hinson wrote:
    ...but here is an example of what is meant.

And here is the other one. These were done really quick in photoshop so they could actually be a bit better.

As for the 'shadows:' Notice the shadows behind their heads? This could have been partially eliminated by raising your main light a bit higher to drop the shadows down behind them.

Hinson
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    You're right, there's a definite improvment. Was this a curves adjustment, what did you do? Thanks for the help. :D
    Dale

Canon 30d
    Speedlight 380EX

• Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    Glad you like...
    destes wrote:
    You're right, there's a definite improvment. Was this a curves adjustment, what did you do? Thanks for the help. :D

The first was levels only, the second was curves and then levels. It was a quick and dirty adj just to show you what could be done. I think it gave them a bit more 'snap.'

Hinson