Options

My turn....

JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
edited May 17, 2007 in People
Pictures have been removed....as have I.
Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D

Comments

• Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    I think I like the second one the best. Normally I'm a fan of relaxed posture, but I think she'd have done better by not slouching in number 1. She's a pretty lady though. :):
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    I really like the first photograph. It is posed and yet it is very casual with lots of bubbly personality coming through.

Technically I'd crop it closer abover her head, possibly changing from 2x3 factor to 4x5 but that is very subjective view.
  • Options
    jsedlakjsedlak Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    I like the second the most as well, but all are really stellar. They are very different for a senior portrait in a good way, I wish my senior portrait was this good. clap.gif
  • Options
    destesdestes Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Myself, I really like the third one. The setting is what does it for me. She looks like she's really hanging out on the edge of a cliff :uhoh. Great set!
    Dale

Canon 30d
    EF 28-105mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM II
    EF 100-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 USM
    Speedlight 380EX
    Sekonic L-28c2 Studio Deluxe

http://photography.daleestes.com
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Those are all really great shots...very nice job. I think any would be wonderful choices.

I prefer 1 and 3 myself, as the contrast differences between her face and the background 'pop' much better, drawing my attention to her face. In the second, the bright sky, and her white shirt make it more difficult to really distinguish her face. I like the pose in #1, looks relaxed.
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    JenW wrote:
    I think I like the second one the best. Normally I'm a fan of relaxed posture, but I think she'd have done better by not slouching in number 1. She's a pretty lady though. :):

Thanks for the feedback. :D
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    I really like the first photograph. It is posed and yet it is very casual with lots of bubbly personality coming through.

Technically I'd crop it closer abover her head, possibly changing from 2x3 factor to 4x5 but that is very subjective view.

This is how I shot it in camera, but I always shoot my portrait stuff just a bit wider than need be, so an 8x10 can be made without cutting it too close to the subject. I've been thinking of an 8x10 focus screen, to take some of the guess work out of that.

Thanks for the feed back. :D
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    destes wrote:
    Myself, I really like the third one. The setting is what does it for me. She looks like she's really hanging out on the edge of a cliff :uhoh. Great set!

She is up pretty high, which the grandparents were concerned about, but there is a landing area about 5 feet below.

• Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    cmason wrote:
    Those are all really great shots...very nice job. I think any would be wonderful choices.

I prefer 1 and 3 myself, as the contrast differences between her face and the background 'pop' much better, drawing my attention to her face. In the second, the bright sky, and her white shirt make it more difficult to really distinguish her face. I like the pose in #1, looks relaxed.

Thank you. I agree with what you said about #2, I also shot it where the background is just the golden color of the weeds. She's an easy subject, loves to have her photo taken.

Thanks for the feedback.:D
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    jsedlak wrote:
    I like the second the most as well, but all are really stellar. They are very different for a senior portrait in a good way, I wish my senior portrait was this good. clap.gif

Thank you. I did some of the standard indoor things, but was looking for some different outdoor locations. I hadn't seen any taken on the rocks at Castle Rock, so we gave it a try.

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Pretty girl, nice job on the photos. Only suggestion would be to coax a little variety from in her look-- her face looks exactly the same in every photo. It's a nice face, just something to keep in mind if you do any of this for clients-- they tend to buy more when there's more variety.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Pretty girl, nice job on the photos. Only suggestion would be to coax a little variety from in her look-- her face looks exactly the same in every photo. It's a nice face, just something to keep in mind if you do any of this for clients-- they tend to buy more when there's more variety.
    How would you go about doing this? Just ask for different moods, silly, serious, etc? When I've done this they usually just end up with the same face, laughing at themselves ne_nau.gif.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    gluwater wrote:
    How would you go about doing this? Just ask for different moods, silly, serious, etc? When I've done this they usually just end up with the same face, laughing at themselves ne_nau.gif.
    In my very limited experience, this is best accomplished by maintaining a running conversation with the model/senior. Conversations always move from subject to subject. With the change of subjects comes changes in facial expressions. The hard part, for me anyways, is the start - how do I get them to open up enough to actually express an opinion, converse, and (most impoartantly) emote? THere's the challenge.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    gluwater wrote:

Talk, make your subject laugh, ask questions. Don't just shoot the pose they give you-- show them some poses. Have them bring in a favorite style/fashion magazine and try to copy some of those poses. Even set down the camera and go to where they are and demonstrate some poses. If you're getting the same look, say, "hey, let's try something a bit different. Turn your head this way, hook your thumbs in your belt..." stuff like that.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    dogwood wrote:

Belive it or not I was constantly talking to her, making her laugh and such, but she hardly ever changes her expression when in front of a camera. If I tookl my eye away from the camera, she would relax, or laugh, as soon as she saw me go back behind it, there was that smile. My oldest daughter is the same way. Almost every photo, taken by anyone, anywhere, has the same smile.

I'll keep after them though....:D
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    Belive it or not I was constantly talking to her, making her laugh and such, but she hardly ever changes her expression when in front of a camera. If I tookl my eye away from the camera, she would relax, or laugh, as soon as she saw me go back behind it, there was that smile. My oldest daughter is the same way. Almost every photo, taken by anyone, anywhere, has the same smile.

I'll keep after them though....:D

I wonder if it would help to use a remote or cable (depending on camera) release???? I notice how "tense" subjects get the minute you are behind the viewfinder, even if you aren't ready to shoot. At least they might be more relaxed. Great shots .... I like the cliff one, even though I'm afraid of heights and you could never get me to pose like that!!! Yikes!! :yikes
  • Options
    binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    great pictures, looks like you picked a perfect overcast day to shoot. your niece is beautiful, i love that smile, but i agree that it may be repetitive.

i think the last shot would be the winner especially if you crop it much closer!

great job, i would love to see more! thumb.gif
  • Options
    Little TLittle T Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    Great photos, i really like the setting it just gives off a more subtle vibe i guess (prolly cause of it being overcast).

I like #3 the most and think it would be even nicer if u croped it a bit closer to her, just my newbie opinion :)
    http://jtrankler.smugmug.com
    jtrankler@gmail.com
    Canon 60D
    Tamron 28-75 2.8
    Canon 70-200 F4 L IS