Options

Bridge CS3 IPTC Keywording Bug

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 7, 2007 in Finishing School
It appears that there's an AdobeBug in Bridge CS3 with respect to IPTC Keywords.

Valid IPTC Keywords are not being picked up by other applications, as well as SmugMug.

Some discussion here:
http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx/.3bc3b950

I had just finished doing a mess of keywording in CS3 Bridge, and was :scratch as to why most of the photos showed up on SmugMug without the keywords! Off to Google I went, and found the above link :cry

The workaround? Do your keywording in Bridge CS2 (if you have it). Other than that, I don't have a good answer for you, I'm sorry.

Comments

• Options
    Kory LidstromKory Lidstrom Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Wow, that's a pretty bad bug. I have my copy of CS3 sitting on my desk just waiting to be installed, but perhaps I'll stick with CS2 for now. Better to wait a couple months until the bugs get ironed out.
    I see the world through a 3:2 rectangle.

My site:Fine Image Photography
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Good catch, Andy, and great frame title.

You are this week's best finishing school thread title winner.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:

The workaround? Do your keywording in Bridge CS2 (if you have it). Other than that, I don't have a good answer for you, I'm sorry.

I just cut the cord with CS2 and deleted it! The bastards!

Lightroom's good, eh?
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I just cut the cord with CS2 and deleted it! The bastards!

Lightroom's good, eh?
    LR does keywords fine, it's only Bridge CS3 AFAIK.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    It appears that there's an AdobeBug in Bridge CS3 with respect to IPTC Keywords.

Thanks, Andy! thumb.gif I was wondering what's wrong with that...
    Darn, I have been using CS3 since last December... That's a whole lot of keywords to redo...headscratch.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    suchitsuchit Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited September 4, 2007
    Round about method fix...
    I too faced this and while I had not seen this thread was pointed to it by Sebastian (thanks!). I too have come to the conclusion that Adobe Bridge has an issue. What I found interesting was that Adobe CS was able to see the keywords and if the file is written out then CS writes in such a way that SmugMug and other apps can see it.

So I use Adobe Bridge (since it allows me to do keywording on multiple files at a time - select a group and keyword them which I can't do in CS), then it writes the info but other apps including SmugMug or IrfanView or ACDSee can't see it. I edit the files in Adobe CS AFTER Bridge has done the keywording and if I write the file out (save file from CS) - then all applications including SmugMug can see it.

So for now my workflow is to first do the keywording in Bridge then come into CS and do the editing and finally do the Geostamping using WWMX.

This works for me.

~ Suchit
    http://photos.suchit.in/

~ Suchit Nanda
    http://photos.suchit.in/ http://suchitnanda.org/
    Transforming light into expressions of emotions.
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    I just read this older thread and wondered if my keywording wasn't working. I checked and it seems to be working fine.

Reading the original Adobe thread quoted earlier in this thread, it was eventually updated with a fix ... update your Adobe Camera Raw to 4.1. So for those that want to use CS3 Bridge to do your keywording, you can use it again!
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    If this issue no longer occurs (I don't know, I keyword in Lightroom), it won't be because of a Camera Raw update, since Camera Raw has no keyword facility. It will have been because of a Bridge update, and it seems like there's been at least one of those since CS3 came out. My version of Bridge CS3, according to the About screen, is 2.1.0.100.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    If this issue no longer occurs (I don't know, I keyword in Lightroom), it won't be because of a Camera Raw update, since Camera Raw has no keyword facility. It will have been because of a Bridge update, and it seems like there's been at least one of those since CS3 came out. My version of Bridge CS3, according to the About screen, is 2.1.0.100.

It depends upon where the problem is created. It is ACR (and not Bridge) that knows how to read an adjusted RAW file and write out a saved JPEG (keywords and all) if you choose to save RAWS as JPEGs or TIFFs from within Bridge. So, if this is the case that was causing the problem (even though it's Bridge that has the UI for manipulating keywords ), the problem could indeed be fixed by an ACR update to it's JPEG writing code.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2007
    colourbox wrote:

If you read the thread, the fix came right from Adobe and yes, it is ACR that knows how to interface with the sidecar files.