Options

Mothers Day portrait

XanderturesXandertures Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited May 14, 2007 in People
Hello, first time poster here :)

I took some photos of my children for a mother's day present. I really liked how this one turned out, despite the amount of processing it took to correct the blown out lighting from that day.

EXIF:
Nikon D50
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 @ f/2.8
Exposure 1/250
ISO 200
Editing done in PSE 5.0

Thanks for looking!
Nikon D750 | Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G | SB-700 & 2 SB-600's - Powered by SmugMug!

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 14, 2007
    pretty lady and good recovery re pp-

think about what you did with metering; maybe ended up metering the bg or used full weighted or average metering-

maybe try spot or partial metering on the face-

glad you're posting here-
  • Options
    SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Welcome!
    Pretty smile! The lighting is quite flat with no shadows or contrast so, just for the heck of it I thought I'd mess with it in PS. Hope you don't mind. We often do stuff like that here on the forums....heheh, that's how we learn all kinds of new stuff rolleyes1.gif

152700074-L.jpg
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    Thanks for the compliments and suggestions. If I may ask, what adjustments did you make to the image I posted? I'm a bit new to Photoshop in general however I have basic knowledge of most componants. Your version definitely makes the subject stand out more.
    Nikon D750 | Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8 | Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G | SB-700 & 2 SB-600's - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    this is what I would do.

she is too centered in your picture for the amount of background you have showing, and she is blown out. I cropped to account for the first problem, and whenever I have the light problem, I make it black and white, because when I do black and white conversions, I purposely over expose them anyway. I also made the blacks blacker and did a curve adjustment and upped the recovery bar. Black and Whites usually look classier and better anyways...

1-1.jpg

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    rosselliot wrote:
    this is what I would do.

she is too centered in your picture for the amount of background you have showing, and she is blown out. I cropped to account for the first problem, and whenever I have the light problem, I make it black and white, because when I do black and white conversions, I purposely over expose them anyway. I also made the blacks blacker and did a curve adjustment and upped the recovery bar. Black and Whites usually look classier and better anyways...

1-1.jpg

- RE

also, I would hope your original picture is higher resolution than the one you posted :D and I think the black and white works in this instance, because your subject was in competition with the background, the lantana or whatever those yellow flowers were - and in the black and white, the picture is clearly all about her.

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    Of course it's higher resolution, granted I only have a 6.1mp D50.

Appreciate the input everyone thumb.gif