Options

My first pics

nickatnitenickatnite Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
edited May 14, 2007 in Landscapes
I've been a lurker on here a while now and decided to register. I'm doing some research on upgrading to a DSLR; BUT, for now, my point and shoot will have to do.

Here are two pics I took for my intro here. Tell me what you think.

102753220-L.jpg

Can you say close up?

102753494-L.jpg

I'm really enjoying the site.

Comments

• Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    I'll give my two cents but I'm still learning from the experts here also.

Both shots are well exposed. I assume that the statue is the subject of both pictures and so the first picture may be more interesting if you crop the picture so that the statue is not centered. The bright sky in the upper left corner tends to draw your eye so you may want to crop that out to keep the eye focused on the statue. Cloning out the bright area on the right might also help.

With the second picture, the out of focus area of leaves on the right helps to make the head stand out but the leaves on the left side are still mostly in focus. It would help to focus the eyes attention by having the entire background out of focus. The camera was starting to do that optically on the right but the leaves on the left may have been too close to the statue to complete the effect. Opening the aperture to a smaller f/stop might have helped but it depends on the characteristics of your camera lens. You could also post process the picture to blur the background with a gaussian blur.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    nickatnitenickatnite Registered Users Posts: 51 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    I'll give my two cents but I'm still learning from the experts here also.

Both shots are well exposed. I assume that the statue is the subject of both pictures and so the first picture may be more interesting if you crop the picture so that the statue is not centered. The bright sky in the upper left corner tends to draw your eye so you may want to crop that out to keep the eye focused on the statue. Cloning out the bright area on the right might also help.

With the second picture, the out of focus area of leaves on the right helps to make the head stand out but the leaves on the left side are still mostly in focus. It would help to focus the eyes attention by having the entire background out of focus. The camera was starting to do that optically on the right but the leaves on the left may have been too close to the statue to complete the effect. Opening the aperture to a smaller f/stop might have helped but it depends on the characteristics of your camera lens. You could also post process the picture to blur the background with a gaussian blur.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Tom.

I did forget to mention that I am shooting with a Sony DSC H2 currently.
  • Options
    rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    welcome to the forum! you're gonna love it here.

the pictures are nice.

have you tried the first in black and white with the exposure turned up and the black down? that might make the statue really stand out since it's the only white...just a thought.

those are really neat though - can't wait to see more of your photos on the site.

- RE
    www.rossfrazier.com
    www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
    Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
    Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
    Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
    Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
    Infiniti QX4