First outing with a diopter -butterflies

DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
edited May 14, 2007 in Holy Macro
I had been using a 12mm extension tube thinking that it would give me a little more working distance than using a bare lens when shooting below life size. But the gain from it was minimal -probably no more than a centimeter. One of my mentors had mentioned to me in an email that he use to use a 500D diopter with his 100mm macro lens and liked the way it changed the bokeh of the lens. After doing a little reading on diopters I thought it might help me get a little more working distance and at the same time smooth out distracting elements in the background -something that's caused me to delete quite a few images.

Here is a sample of the photos I took on my first outing with it. All Canon gear: For closeups; Xti in aperture priority (F5.6 and ISO 200) + 100mm macro lens + 500D diopter. No flash. For macros: Manual mode F8, 1/200, ISO 200. MR-14EX ring flash set to a 4:1 ratio and -1/3 FEC.

151796828-L.jpg

151797070-L.jpg

151797673-L.jpg

151797821-L.jpg

151798059-L.jpg

151798373-L.jpg
My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.

Comments

• thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Fantastic work Dalantech, and the way you explain your methods is greatly appreciated, thanks for sharing.

Charlie
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    thebigsky wrote:
    Fantastic work Dalantech, and the way you explain your methods is greatly appreciated, thanks for sharing.

Charlie

Thanks for the props Charlie!
    My SmugMug Gallery

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    I had been using a 12mm extension tube thinking that it would give me a little more working distance than using a bare lens when shooting below life size. But the gain from it was minimal -probably no more than a centimeter. One of my mentors had mentioned to me in an email that he use to use a 500D diopter with his 100mm macro lens and liked the way it changed the bokeh of the lens. After doing a little reading on diopters I thought it might help me get a little more working distance and at the same time smooth out distracting elements in the background -something that's caused me to delete quite a few images.
    Here is a sample of the photos I took on my first outing with it. All Canon gear: For closeups; Xti in aperture priority (F5.6 and ISO 200) + 100mm macro lens + 500D diopter. No flash. For macros: Manual mode F8, 1/200, ISO 200. MR-14EX ring flash set to a 4:1 ratio and -1/3 FEC.

You must have a never ending supply of Butterflies John,
    where are you getting them all from eek7.gif .
    I like Image #5 that plant is very pretty the butterfly is sitting on.
    Nice Series thumb.gif ......... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited May 14, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    You must have a never ending supply of Butterflies John,
    where are you getting them all from eek7.gif .
    I like Image #5 that plant is very pretty the butterfly is sitting on.
    Nice Series thumb.gif ......... Skippy

I'm gonna print that one large on canvas.

There is an abandoned lot in my town that is completely overgrown with wild flowers and the butterflies love it. I think they are getting use to me and my macro gear ;)
    My SmugMug Gallery

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Beautiful series John- lovely light and composition not to mention the bokeh :)
    Brian V.
    edited May 14, 2007
    Beautiful series John- lovely light and composition not to mention the bokeh :)
    Brian V.

Thanks Brian!
    My SmugMug Gallery