New to dgrin - and HDR. Feedback please...

mbx777mbx777 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited May 17, 2007 in Technique
Hi everyone,

I'm a new grinner, and I'm relatively new to HDR. I've experimented with HDR over the last few months and would like to get some feedback, both on examples which should be realistic (i.e. not obviously HDR, like the first example below) as well as some examples where I used HDR to deliberately create a surrealistic impression (like the second image below).

151998209-M.jpg

152007206-M.jpg

The examples are from two of my smugmug galleries. Please have a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks,
--michael

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited May 14, 2007
    Hi Michael and welcome to Dgrin. wave.gif I don't see the images in your post. This is probably because you have not enabled external links in the Smugmug gallery. You can do that in the Customize Gallery page.

Cheers,
  • mbx777mbx777 Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 14, 2007
    rsinmadrid wrote:
    Hi Michael and welcome to Dgrin. wave.gif I don't see the images in your post. This is probably because you have not enabled external links in the Smugmug gallery. You can do that in the Customize Gallery page.

Cheers,

Thanks for the welcome, rsinmadrid! And thanks for the hint with my smugmug config. Will do in the future. For now I solved it...

--michael
  • rhommelrhommel Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Nice HDRs!
    there's nothing much to say on the 1st image except good job!

I like the sky on the 2nd image, You can probably accentuate it more using the high pass filter in photoshop.. what you can do is create a duplicate layer for the clouds and apply the high pass filter, then you can either change the layer mode to Overlay, soft or hard light :)
    mbx777 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

I'm a new grinner, and I'm relatively new to HDR. I've experimented with HDR over the last few months and would like to get some feedback, both on examples which should be realistic (i.e. not obviously HDR, like the first example below) as well as some examples where I used HDR to deliberately create a surrealistic impression (like the second image below).

1783213.jpg

1783655.jpg

The examples are from two of my smugmug galleries. Please have a look and let me know what you think.

Thanks,
    --michael
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    edited May 14, 2007
    Thanks, rhommel and tsk1979, for your responses. As soon as I have time I'll try the high pass tip for the sky and post the result here.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    mbx777 wrote:
    Hi everyone,

Thanks,
    --michael

Hi Michael and welcome to the forum.

The Second image looks pretty darn cool thumb.gif
    I'm experimenting with HDR too, it's rather addictive isn't it,
    with very pleasing results :D

I did a little cloning to the sky in the top right hand corner,
    to tidy up that corner, but you could easily have done that thumb.gif

... Good Work Michael ..... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited May 16, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hi Michael and welcome to the forum.

The Second image looks pretty darn cool thumb.gif
    I'm experimenting with HDR too, it's rather addictive isn't it,
    with very pleasing results :D

I did a little cloning to the sky in the top right hand corner,
    to tidy up that corner, but you could easily have done that thumb.gif

... Good Work Michael ..... Skippy

Hi Skippy,

Thanks for the nice words - and the clean-up. You're right, I could have done that easily me self. Just one of these many little things that get skipped at 2 am...
    And you're right: It's rather addictive. On this topic: I just scrolled through the OOB thread, and my first reaction was, 'I have to try that!'. But then: It does look very addictive, too, and I don't know how much more I can cut down on sleep... headscratch.gif

Cheers,
    --michael
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    mbx777 wrote:
    Hi Skippy,

Thanks for the nice words - and the clean-up. You're right, I could have done that easily me self. Just one of these many little things that get skipped at 2 am...
    And you're right: It's rather addictive. On this topic: I just scrolled through the OOB thread, and my first reaction was, 'I have to try that!'. But then: It does look very addictive, too, and I don't know how much more I can cut down on sleep... headscratch.gif

Cheers,
    --michael

Be strong Michael............ narrrrrrrr don't waste your time,
    just give in to the urge now and love every minute of learning new things rolleyes1.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    Some are not big fans of HDR, but I think they make for STUNNING pictures, if done right.

IMO, HDR is BEST for night or low light shots, or areas of great contrast.

THis is one thta would work great for it.. but the overall background lighting would be to bright initially.. I didn't bracket any of these.. just single shots..

I did not doctor this one in any way.
    2003634412804934206_rs.jpg
    Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
    http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com