Options

photo stats

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited February 15, 2005 in Technique
everyone is fond of sharing the details of each of their shots... I'm wondering how you track the info?
I'm assuming there is a setting on my D70 that will "stamp" the exif onto every image but I can't find it. I can't imagine everyone is running around with paper and pencil notating every shot's details - or are you? :scratch

Comments

• Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    everyone is fond of sharing the details of each of their shots... I'm wondering how you track the info?
    I'm assuming there is a setting on my D70 that will "stamp" the exif onto every image but I can't find it. I can't imagine everyone is running around with paper and pencil notating every shot's details - or are you? headscratch.gif
    The camera will automatically stamp the EXIF info to each shot. this can be found in Photoshop under file> file info:D
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    I'm assuming there is a setting on my D70 that will "stamp" the exif onto every image but I can't find it. I can't imagine everyone is running around with paper and pencil notating every shot's details - or are you? headscratch.gif
    Of course, I learned that in the old days, didn't you..........uh, not implying you had "old" days........hahahaha

No, it is in the metadata. I don't put all those stats unless someone asks for them, or if it is memorable to me. I certainly don't hunt for them. All we really need for the challenge is the date. Some people want more at times, I might ask for more, but I don't put it with everything.

Some people are what I have always called "tech nuts". Back in the 60s and 70s, they were reporting every detail, every f stop, etc. I was amazed. Never did I do it, not once!

someone else will answer more, gotta go to a bunch of places, no time for photography.:cry :cry :cry

ginger (now they have something new where you can click on the photo and get the data, I have done that, find it useful, but I have no idea how to do set it up myself, and if it is explained, it would have to be done in words appropriate for a kindergartener. I don't know jargon.)
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Angelo wrote:

You are correct. The D70 does include all the info in it's EXIF. I use Nikon Capture to convert RAW files, and the info is available there. What photo editing software do you use?

There are several other free EXIF readers out there. Do you run Windows or Mac? The problem with most of these is missing info. Nikon puts the ISO value in the "makers notes" field, and I don't know of any others that can retrieve this info besides Nikon. I haven't looked lately, so I could be wrong.

Hope this helps.

Dave
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Angelo

I notice in your galleries you have photo info turned off or you have somehow stripped the info from your images (using "save for the web" in photoshop will do that). Go to your gallery setting and click yes for share photo info.

When you do there will be a link under each photo in the gallery that opens a page with all of the info your camera saves.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    Sorry Greaper but I can't find a setting for "share photo info" in the gallery settings.

I zunlocked the "right click" protection but still did not find the info.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    I am debating between the Nikon Capture software and other software recommend by others here, such as, Breeze.

At the moment I do not have software that reads RAW files so all my images are hi-res .jpgs (yuck!)

I spoke with COREL on Friday about my Photo-Paint software to find there will be no patches intended to read RAW files. :uhoh Buh-bye Corel!!! umph.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Sorry Greaper but I can't find a setting for "share photo info" in the gallery settings.

I zunlocked the "right click" protection but still did not find the info.

in customize gallery, angelo, tick the radio button for camera info

15498381-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    andy wrote:
    in customize gallery, angelo, tick the radio button for camera info

15498381-L.jpg

What... no arrow....
    :D
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    hah hah!

I have that selection checked as "yes" but...

This is no doubt a result of using my COREL Photo-Paint software. I am purchasing new software TODAY to handle these RAW/NEF files.

Thanks guys.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Andy:

I tried that but to no avail. <boohoo>

i don't understand. do you not find this choice in "customize gallery?" do you hve it checked "yes?"

if you're still not gettign phtoo exif, then your saving routine must be stripping the exif. if you choose "save for web" then that strips the exif. choose "save as" and give a file name.

let us know, angelo.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    What... no arrow....
    :D

i was figuring angelo was smart enough not to need the arrow :D
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    something is "stripping" the info. and never assume I'm smart enough! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    hah hah!

I have that selection checked as "yes" but...

This is no doubt a result of using my COREL Photo-Paint software. I am purchasing new software TODAY to handle these RAW/NEF files.

Thanks guys.

Nikon Capture is the best software I've used for RAW conversion. It does a much better job than Adobe.

There is also another piece of software that is making some great strides in the NEF conversion. I think Anand prefers this software, and it is much cheaper. It only runs on Windows, so I've not used it yet. A Mac version is due in April. You can find more info on the Raw Magick Website. I think there is a free trial.

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    something is "stripping" the info. and never assume I'm smart enough! rolleyes1.gif

If you use Adobe "Save For Web" the data is stripped. It took me forever to figure that one out.

Dave
  • Options
    ChristianChristian Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    I used to use Paint Shop Pro for some of alot of my editing because I couldn't figure out how to do the same work under Photoshop Elements ( haven't gotten arround to getting the big version). But I soon relized that Paint Shop Pro was striping the Exif. So now I'm forcing myself to learn PhotoShop Elements so as to be able to keep the info.