edited June 6, 2007 in House of Canon
[ ITEM NOW SOLD]

for sale...
Sigma 80-400mm F4.5-5.6 APO EX OS(IS) lens - Like-New
(Canon mount)
Image Stabilized, excellent glass
$795
Manufacturer's specs: http://sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_...72&navigator=3

I've loved this lens and it has repaid me with great images!

This Sigma 80-400mm F4.5-5.6 APO EX OS(IS) lens:
  • LIke-new condition -- perfect glass, no external marks
  • Includes original box, carry bag, lens hood, front & back caps, owner's manual
  • OS = Sigma Optical image Stabilization:
    • Mode 1: Vertical stabilization only (for panning shots)
    • Mode 2: Vertical + Horizontal stabilization
  • $1000 new; used mainly for some of my kids' soccer games (worked great!)
  • Sharp glass, beautiful contrast -- every bit as good as my Canon "L" glass, to my eyes
  • I'm only selling it to slip into faster glass for indoor events (oh, what a slippery slope that is... :wink)
  • No sales tax, of course
  • $10 for USPS Prio Mail within U.S. ... or local pick-up (SF Peninsula area)
  • Payment methods:
    • cash
    • PayPal cash/e-check
    • credit-card PayPal (will split fees)
Contact me via DGrin Private Message or, better yet, via email.

= photobug

Photo Gallery of this lens (all resolutions displayable): http://topflightimages.smugmug.com/g...40/1/141273500

Individual photos:

141273500-S.jpg

141273981-S.jpg

141274217-S.jpg

141274438-S.jpg

141274629-S.jpg
Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

Comments

• Options
    jwtruth35jwtruth35 Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited June 3, 2007
    I believe you were shooting this lens with a 20D? I have a 30D now, so they are pretty much the same camera, and I wanted to know how fast the focus was on this lens. I have heard mixed reviews of sigma glass, but never anything on this particular lens
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited June 3, 2007
    jwtruth35 wrote:
    I believe you were shooting this lens with a 20D?
    Yep, you figured right -- a 20D :D.
    I have a 30D now, so they are pretty much the same camera, and I wanted to know how fast the focus was on this lens. I have heard mixed reviews of sigma glass, but never anything on this particular lens
    Sure ... I read all the same reviews before I bought the lens. The comments about AF speed gave me some pause, but then I rolled the dice and bought it.

If I just point it at something and depress the shutter button halfway, it does take a fraction of a second to focus (but then, all bodies/lenses do -- it's just a matter of how fast they do it). I have mostly shot a dozen or so soccer games with the Sigma 80-400 and, to tell you the truth (and a bit to my surprise), the AF speed never ever ended up being a factor. Maybe the AI focus mode on the 20D helped? But my experience has been, even for "action" shooting, the focus servos on the Sigma 80-400 seem to keep up well enough. So maybe Sigma didn't put HSM AF motors in this lens because it didn't "have" to ... (although at least from the marketing sense, HSM would be good in a $1000 lens)
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited June 6, 2007
    Lens now SOLD
    Lens now sold to jwtruth35 ... I hope he enjoys it as much as I have!