Printing

PictureThis!PictureThis! Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
edited May 22, 2007 in Sports
Who does y'alls printing for team portraits?

Michelle Martin
Control your destiny, or someone else will.

Comments

• RustingInPeaceRustingInPeace Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2007
    Costco
    Who does y'alls printing for team portraits?

I have been using Costco as of late. You need to be sure that you have everything just the way you want it. They are not going to bail you out with any color corrections, etc. They do however post their ICC settings on their website. As long as you use the setting for your local shop and your monitor properly calibrated the results are fine.

They use Fuji developing and print on Fuji Crystal Archive paper. The results have been good so far.

“Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take pictures.” -Helmut Newton-
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    I also use Costco if I need something fast. They are not far and I can send them online and usually pick them up within two hours. They do a pretty good job. I always make sure when sending them online to check the "do not auto correct" since I edit in CS2.

As for other prints that I need better color with more options on paper, size, etc. I order from ColorInc.

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    I have been using Costco as of late. You need to be sure that you have everything just the way you want it. They are not going to bail you out with any color corrections, etc.
    Incorrect. They DO color correct automatically. Whether their correction does any good is a different story. But they will attempt to do so, absolutely. Instead, do the color correction yourself and then specifically ask that they turn color correction off (they will do this). If you upload online they have a check box for this.

I don't bother using their ICC profiles. I simply use good 'ol sRGB color space and the results are always very good.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:
    Incorrect. They DO color correct automatically. Whether their correction does any good is a different story. But they will attempt to do so, absolutely. Instead, do the color correction yourself and then specifically ask that they turn color correction off (they will do this). If you upload online they have a check box for this.

I don't bother using their ICC profiles. I simply use good 'ol sRGB color space and the results are always very good.

I concur completely with Bill - the only disasters have been when I forgot to ask them NOT to color correct. Caution - the box to turn this off is a bit cryptic to find.

For event photography and T & I, where price is low, Costco is a really good option.

ann
  • JerryMartinJerryMartin Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    mercphoto wrote:

As always, YMMV. My Costco has auto correct turned off 100% of the time. I had a long conversation with one of the lab folks one night about color correction in general. You may want to ask at your store.

As far as ICC profiles are concerned I've printed many, many samples and there is very little difference between the Costco ICC and sRGB. If you have a properly calibrated monitor you should get back exactly what you sent them.
    Jerry Martin Photography
    My SmugMug Site
  • SitterSSitterS Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    I tried Costcos ICC profile a few times and just went back to srgb just like Bill and have had no issues. Yes, to turn off auto correct is a little hard to find and easy to forget to do. It is near the end of the process when sending them online under "edit options". You can add custom text on the back of the photo as well as turn off auto correct.

I had several 12x18 posters printed yesterday for a skateboard competition that is coming up soon. They turned out better than I expected. $2.99 for a 12x18. Can't beat it!

Shane
    www.imagesbyshane.smugmug.com

Blogs:
    www.imagesbyshane.blogspot.com

Canon 20d and 40d
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 85mm 1.8
    Canon 70-200L IS 2.8