My site doesn't show up for IE 5.0 users.

Kory LidstromKory Lidstrom Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
edited May 15, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I was just at my mom's house for Mother's Day, and while there she wanted to see my site. My mom still uses her old Power Mac from 1999. Needless to say, it's ancient by today's standards.

She's running Mac OS 9.0 and browsing with IE 5.1 Anywhoo, when we tried to view my site on her computer, it came up, but many things were displaying incorrectly. What we saw was as follows:

1. Home page --> Instead of displaying my slide show, it simply displayed my bio text, but no bio pic.

2. Galleries page --> Same exact thing as Home page.

3. Guarantee page --> Displayed normally. The only page to do so.

4. Contact Page --> Nothing displayed except for my banner and navbar.

5. About page --> Same exact thing as Contact page.

6. Guestbook --> Displayed the banner and the "add comment" button, but did NOT display the actual comments that other people had left.

I strongly suspect that her outdated version of IE was the problem, but because she uses a Mac, I could be of little help. I just don't know Macs very well. I tried to find an update for IE Mac on the web, but could not.

Can anyone help? :scratch (My site is in my sig.)

Thanks! :D
I see the world through a 3:2 rectangle.

My site:Fine Image Photography

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    NugBlazer wrote:
    I was just at my mom's house for Mother's Day, and while there she wanted to see my site. My mom still uses her old Power Mac from 1999. Needless to say, it's ancient by today's standards.

She's running Mac OS 9.0 and browsing with IE 5.1 Anywhoo, when we tried to view my site on her computer, it came up, but many things were displaying incorrectly. What we saw was as follows:

1. Home page --> Instead of displaying my slide show, it simply displayed my bio text, but no bio pic.

2. Galleries page --> Same exact thing as Home page.

3. Guarantee page --> Displayed normally. The only page to do so.

4. Contact Page --> Nothing displayed except for my banner and navbar.

5. About page --> Same exact thing as Contact page.

6. Guestbook --> Displayed the banner and the "add comment" button, but did NOT display the actual comments that other people had left.

I strongly suspect that her outdated version of IE was the problem, but because she uses a Mac, I could be of little help. I just don't know Macs very well. I tried to find an update for IE Mac on the web, but could not.

Can anyone help? headscratch.gif (My site is in my sig.)

Thanks! :D
    I can't seem to find anything written about this on Smugmug's site (I know it's there somewhere, but neither Google nor Smugmug's search can find it), but I'm pretty sure they support IE 6 and 7 and Firefox and some support for Safari, but not IE 5.x anymore. They seem to try to keep Opera and Camino functional though not necessarily bug free.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    I don't know about IE5 on a Mac. If the Active Scripting is disabled on IE6 on a PC the same thing will happen.
    Have her check to see if the Active Scripting is enabled.
    From the browser toolbar select:
    Tools > Internet Options > Security Tab > Custom Level > Active Scripting "enable"
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    You can try Rich's suggestion, and see if it works.
    We do not support IE5 at all anymore. Microsoft doesn't even support IE5/mac any more as far as I know.

See this message from June 2005:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/don/2005/06/30/time-to-bite-the-bullet-death-to-ie5/
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    NugBlazer wrote:

Can anyone help?

Yup. Why is she using IE5? Have her try Firefox on her Mac deal.gif
  • Kory LidstromKory Lidstrom Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Ok thanks, guys, Rich, I will try your idea. I will also see about getting her on FireFox.
    I see the world through a 3:2 rectangle.

My site:Fine Image Photography