Verifying Website w/ Google

StudioVoxPopStudioVoxPop Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
edited October 7, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi there--

I've registered my website with Google and I would like to verify it. Is this possible? Here's what google is asking for:

"We offer two methods of verification. You can either upload an HTML file with a name we specify, or you can add a META tag to your site's index file. Choose your preferred method below."

Can I do this?

Justin
www.StudioVoxPop.com

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Hi there--

I've registered my website with Google and I would like to verify it. Is this possible? Here's what google is asking for:

"We offer two methods of verification. You can either upload an HTML file with a name we specify, or you can add a META tag to your site's index file. Choose your preferred method below."

Can I do this?

Justin
    www.StudioVoxPop.com
    Yal the first one but why, I keyword the crapola out of my photos and get
    picked up by all kinks of Google searches. Keywords and captions are the
    real secret.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Yal the first one but why, I keyword the crapola out of my photos and get
    picked up by all kinks of Google searches. Keywords and captions are the
    real secret.
    Actually you can't upload a html file to smugmug, but adding a meta tag to your customizations works if you're power or pro user. Just add the code they give you to the head-tag section.

As for why - in the google webmaster tools you get some first hand statistics about your keywords and can check for any errors the google bot encountered on your pages and some more stuff. It's kind of interesting as you can also control a bit on how often google should check your page for updates.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • StudioVoxPopStudioVoxPop Registered Users Posts: 132 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Actually you can't upload a html file to smugmug, but adding a meta tag to your customizations works if you're power or pro user. Just add the code they give you to the -tag section.

As for why - in the google webmaster tools you get some first hand statistics about your keywords and can check for any errors the google bot encountered on your pages and some more stuff. It's kind of interesting as you can also control a bit on how often google should check your page for updates.

Sebastian

Perfect! Thanks Sebastian! clap.gif
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Perfect! Thanks Sebastian! clap.gif
    My pleasure. :)
    The important part on where to add the meta-tag went missing in my post. It should read like that (edited already in the post):
    "Just add the code they give you to the *head-tag* section."

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • shfayashfaya Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    ne_nau.gifI did put the code in a head tag but still google doesn't see it. I pasted it for both for my custom name and smugmug name and both can not be verified?
    Miro Slav
    www.mirophoto.com
    smooth photography of...
  • eddiefeddief Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited December 7, 2008
    Same here - I put the Google Webmaster Tools verify code inside the Head Tag section, and I get this:

Verification status: NOT VERIFIED
    Last attempt Dec 7, 2008: We've detected that your 404 (file not found) error page returns a status of 200 (Success) in the header.

Any Ideas?

Eddie http://www.picturesofvancouver.com/

-I also tried verifying with a new Google Webmaster Tools account under my straight smugmug address http://vancouver.smugmug.com/ ...no luck
  • OffTopicOffTopic Registered Users Posts: 521 Major grins
    edited December 8, 2008
    I looked at the page source for both of your sites (eddief and shfaya) and although you've both put the verification code in the same spot, it doesn't appear that you've put it in the head tag because your code is in a much different place than mine - yours are with your page titles for some reason. headscratch.gif

In your Control Panel, Site Wide Customization tab, there is a section titled Head Tag (optional and advanced) about halfway down the page. This is where you need to enter the verification code.

If you do in fact have it in that section, there must be something else affecting the placement of the code on the page. ne_nau.gif
    edited December 12, 2008
    OffTopic wrote:
    I looked at the page source for both of your sites (eddief and shfaya) and although you've both put the verification code in the same spot, it doesn't appear that you've put it in the head tag because your code is in a much different place than mine - yours are with your page titles for some reason. headscratch.gif

In your Control Panel, Site Wide Customization tab, there is a section titled Head Tag (optional and advanced) about halfway down the page. This is where you need to enter the verification code.

If you do in fact have it in that section, there must be something else affecting the placement of the code on the page. ne_nau.gif
    Unfortunatelly it is where you say it should be. The code is pasted exactly in the Head Tag. I have no ide what could be affecting the code and where could be en error. Google still say NO to my code.
    Miro Slav
    www.mirophoto.com
    smooth photography of...
    edited December 12, 2008
    Hi all with same problem.
    I have discovered that the code works fine with my smugmug domain (not with my private mirophoto.com domain).

so now i have all google tools available but for shfaya.smugmug.com so I am scared if working with this tools will provide me with better results on the mirophoto.com
    Miro Slav
    www.mirophoto.com
    smooth photography of...
  • ClementeClemente Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited October 7, 2009
    Google Site verification
    shfaya wrote:
    Hi all with same problem.
    I have discovered that the code works fine with my smugmug domain (not with my private mirophoto.com domain).

so now i have all google tools available but for shfaya.smugmug.com so I am scared if working with this tools will provide me with better results on the mirophoto.com

I did put the Google Site verification tag in the "Head Tag" section thru Advance Customization, and Google is unable to verify my Smugmug site. Need some help, please. Thanks