My beautiful daughter......overexposed? Recover detail.

ShannonHeatShannonHeat Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
edited May 17, 2007 in Finishing School
I need a little help with these. I took these of my 4 year old daughter last night before her dance class, and they look great on my computer. However, my sister said they looked washed out on her computer. Do I just suck at b&w conversions? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.....I can always count on great feedback on here!

www.heatonphotography.net

1)Mothers-Day-045-copy.jpg

2)Mothers-Day-047-copy.jpg

3)Mothers-Day-048-copy.jpg
Shannon :D
Canon Digital Rebel XTI, 430ex, sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro, a crummy kit lens, 4gb cf, and tons of batteries.
http://picasaweb.google.com/heatonphotography
www.myspace.com/heatonphotography

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    No piccie, Shannon.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Is the goal to make the dress disappear? Just with floating head, arms, and feet?
  • ShannonHeatShannonHeat Registered Users Posts: 222 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    No, not really. But if I drop the shadows too low, the black backdrop looks a little too light. Hmmmm....wondering what I did wrong. Are you seeing this too dark? My sister said that the pic looks overexposed. Heeellllpppp!!!!!headscratch.gif
    mmroden wrote:
    Is the goal to make the dress disappear? Just with floating head, arms, and feet?
    Canon Digital Rebel XTI, 430ex, sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro, a crummy kit lens, 4gb cf, and tons of batteries.
  • z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Main problem is that you compressed pictures extremely !!!
    Last one is 12.5 kB ONLY ?!
    First one is even 9.5 kB !
    It's basically size and quality of avatar.
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    I like her expression in the first one, and it's cute to have her feet kicked up like that.

I wonder if you posted a pre-conversion photo if it would be easier to tell what's happening. What's your light source for these?

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
    edited May 15, 2007
    I'll repost in a sec., with the original pics. You can view on my website www.heatonphotography.net under Youth and Sports.
    I don't have a studio or anything. These were done in her bedroom with a black bedsheet, and a flood lamp :) I had to be creative...lol.
    What do I do to make these look right?headscratch.gif
    Elaine wrote:
    I like her expression in the first one, and it's cute to have her feet kicked up like that.

I wonder if you posted a pre-conversion photo if it would be easier to tell what's happening. What's your light source for these?

Elaine
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    What software do you have?

I'm going to move this to the Finishing School forum, that's where we can have a good discussion about ways to help the shots (which I think is entirely doable.)
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited May 15, 2007
    I have cs2. Oh, and feel free to move my thread, but plese don't abandon it....I need help wings.gif
    wxwax wrote:
    What software do you have?

I'm going to move this to the Finishing School forum, that's where we can have a good discussion about ways to help the shots (which I think is entirely doable.)
  • z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    You should made them 100 kB each at least.

BTW - on your website they are very low resolution too, same thing as here.

P.S. Looks as your pictures grow a bit :D
    About 3x bit !
    Didn't they looks better now ?
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
    edited May 15, 2007
    Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?
    z_28 wrote:
    You should made them 100 kB each at least.

BTW - on your website they are very low resolution too, same thing as here.

P.S. Looks as your pictures grow a bit :D
    About 3x bit !
    Didn't they looks better now ?
  • BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Shannon, learn to look at and trust your info palette readings! Think of it as a profiling spyder for your image, people spend big money calibrating and characterising/profiling their monitors, but seem shy to measure their images values. My advice is to take advantage of all the methods available.

Regards,

Stephen Marsh.
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Shannon,

I would still be interested in seeing the original pic. That way, people may be able to give you some pointers on improving the shot at the time it was taken. Actually that part should probably go in the Technique forum.

If you do make a larger size or original pic available in this forum, then you could ask people to give it a go and share what they did with it.

Don't want you to get discouraged!

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Shannon,

I second the not-getting-frustrated sentiment. Some of these concepts are a real pain, and they're not going to come immediately. That you have CS2 is a good thing, because you've got a very sophisticated tool there to do what you need to do.

The closer we get to the original image, the more we can help you. We'll also need to know the goal; I'm guessing it's not the floating limbs I'm seeing now; that goal should come into sharper focus (har har) once we see your originals.

And as for your friend, one of the most frustrating things about this entire process is color calibration of monitors. What may look awesome to you on your monitor may look terrible on hers because one or the both of you may have very old or very miscalibrated monitors and not even realize it. I can only recommend a good color puck (like Gretag Macbeth's Eye One) for that.
    edited May 16, 2007
    How do I put the original image into this forum? I shot raw. Oh, and I don't use smugmug yet :cry Need the cashflow first.

Shannon
    Elaine wrote:
    Shannon,

I would still be interested in seeing the original pic. That way, people may be able to give you some pointers on improving the shot at the time it was taken. Actually that part should probably go in the Technique forum.

If you do make a larger size or original pic available in this forum, then you could ask people to give it a go and share what they did with it.

Don't want you to get discouraged!

Elaine
  • nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    How do I put the original image into this forum? I shot raw. Oh, and I don't use smugmug yet :cry Need the cashflow first.

Shannon

Save a jpeg from the original RAW file onto your server and post the link here. It makes it easier for us to work on an unedited, higher resolution image.

Nikos