Sigma 30mm 1.4 -- Opinions?

TeddifishTeddifish Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited May 16, 2007 in Cameras
I'm thinking about buying a Sigma 30mm 1.4 has anyone had good/bad experiences w/this lens on a crop body?
Sony A200, 20mm F2.8; 35 - 70 F4; 50mm F1.7; 28-135 F4; 24-70 f2.8z (and a backache)

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 15, 2007
    Teddifish wrote:
    I'm thinking about buying a Sigma 30mm 1.4 has anyone had good/bad experiences w/this lens on a crop body?

There is a pretty good review of that lens here:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_30_14/index.htm

I have the Sigma 28mm, f1.8 in a very old version, but I believe that the newer Sigma 28mm, f1.8 has better edge performance than the 30mm, f1.4. The 28mm lens will also fit full-frame cameras, if that is a concern. (The 28mm is apparently no longer in production, so you will only find it used.)

I'm afraid that the only really fast lens at this aperture that I would honestly recommend is the Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L. It has a steep price tag, but it deserves its reputation for quality images.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • TeddifishTeddifish Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    There is a pretty good review of that lens here:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/lenses/sigma_30_14/index.htm

I have the Sigma 28mm, f1.8 in a very old version, but I believe that the newer Sigma 28mm, f1.8 has better edge performance than the 30mm, f1.4. The 28mm lens will also fit full-frame cameras, if that is a concern. (The 28mm is apparently no longer in production, so you will only find it used.)

I'm afraid that the only really fast lens at this aperture that I would honestly recommend is the Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L. It has a steep price tag, but it deserves its reputation for quality images.
    :drool:

I wish I could afford it.
    Sony A200, 20mm F2.8; 35 - 70 F4; 50mm F1.7; 28-135 F4; 24-70 f2.8z (and a backache)
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Run away as fast as you can if its on a Canon 1.6 crop body.
    Reason have heard of many many instanced where this lens focuses properly when subject is near, but in shots a little farther away there is sever focus problem. Atleast on 20D I have seen this problem.
    We got this lens and tested it throughly by focusing on eyelashes. It was close focusing and bang on target. The moment tried to do some medium distance subjects poof.
    So if you plan to get one, try in shop. Don't just do a focus test chart test. Try on a little farther away subject too.
  • chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    One of my goto lenses on the baseline!
    132104413-M.jpg
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
  • BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Teddifish wrote:
    In general, I'd say this lens gets a bad wrap on Dgrin. I've recommended it here before amongst dissenting opinion. But I like it and never hesitate to recommend it as a fast, affordable crop lens for indoor, low-light people shots. As has been pointed out by others, you should probably stay away from using it for formal, close-up portraits due to distortion.
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    BenA2 wrote:
    In general, I'd say this lens gets a bad wrap on Dgrin. I've recommended it here before amongst dissenting opinion. But I like it and never hesitate to recommend it as a fast, affordable crop lens for indoor, low-light people shots. As has been pointed out by others, you should probably stay away from using it for formal, close-up portraits due to distortion.
    I have seen the problem is from sample to sample.
    So better to buy it in a camera shop and see if it matches the body.
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    I use the Canon 35/2 as an alternative. My boss loves his sigma 30/1.4. I haven't heard about any focus issues at all with it.
  • TeddifishTeddifish Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Thanks very much, everybody!

(and what a great b-ball shot!)