edited March 5, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
Here is a shot of a gate - comments everyone please....2522880-L.jpg
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    soupsoup Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited February 23, 2004
    looks to be some vignetting at the top and bottom.
    decent texture.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited February 23, 2004
    soup wrote:
    looks to be some vignetting at the top and bottom.
    decent texture.
    The lens did not vignette - I did - burned in that is ...... good or bad?

• Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2004
    I really like B&W,it takes a picture such as pathfinders gate and somehow transforms it giving it drama.
    As for the vignette on that particular shot , it does not work for me,but I have been known to be wrong... once.:D
    I hope you dont mind if I share a B&W on this thread do you? It just seems appropo with the title and all.
    2436431-M.jpg

Clic on pic to get original size.

Tim
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2004
    More B&W
    This one is several years old. It was originally a color image taken with a CoolPix 950. It works much better in black and white.

2531043-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    This one is several years old. It was originally a color image taken with a CoolPix 950. It works much better in black and white.

2531043-M.jpg
    Agreed with B&W - CoolPix 950 great little macro camera isn't it?

• Options
    edited February 23, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    CoolPix 950 great little macro camera isn't it?
    Yes it is. If it just had a true manual exposure mode, it would be a perfect macro work camera. I guess one of these days I'm going to have to upgrade.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Here is a shot of a gate - comments everyone please....
    nice gate pathfinder, I love wood.. took my bridge and made it into black and white.. I don't know if it looks better or not.. probably does.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2004
    I like B&W too. I think it's harder to get a good B&W shot than it is a good color shot, since you need to focus (heh) much more on composition and contrast.

2531460-L.jpg
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2004
    fish wrote:
    I like B&W too. I think it's harder to get a good B&W shot than it is a good color shot, since you need to focus (heh) much more on composition and contrast.

It looks like you all have some nice BW conversions. Nice crisp with good contrast. I am having problems with the conversions, but I'll keep working on it. I am experimenting with methods outlined here and other places. Here is one conversion. This was originally about 1/6 of the photo taken at 300mm. I cropped the lighthouse and inlarged it, and converted to BW.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    fish wrote:

It looks like you all have some nice BW conversions. Nice crisp with good contrast. I am having problems with the conversions, but I'll keep working on it. I am experimenting with methods outlined here and other places. Here is one conversion. This was originally about 1/6 of the photo taken at 300mm. I cropped the lighthouse and inlarged it, and converted to BW.
    Love the fog, very nice shot. I it me or is it tilted to the right a bit.
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    fish wrote:

I like the light house a great deal - was that real fog or a gradient filter? I like Fish's gate also - much more on my monitor at home than at work - monitors make a big difference in how pictures appear -

No one seemed to like the dark corners in my gate so here it is again without the corners burned in

2536493-L.jpg

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2004
    GREAPER wrote:
    Love the fog, very nice shot. I it me or is it tilted to the right a bit.
    I Just went back and ran grid lines all through the original photo and the one I posted. At first I thought I was off, but I think the light house is off. The fog is a gradient. I'll post the original shot.
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2004
    Sam wrote:
    I Just went back and ran grid lines all through the original photo and the one I posted. At first I thought I was off, but I think the light house is off. The fog is a gradient. I'll post the original shot.

Nice picture - nothing wrong with it in color I thinklickout.gif

I wondered about the gradient - nice effect - I'll have to try that sometime

• Options
    edited February 24, 2004
    I took this tonight ,original in Black and White. I just cant get enough of them.

2537479-M.jpg
    Found my old tripod so I had to shoot something.
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2004
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2004
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 29, 2004
    I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this. I just started doing b&w a few weeks ago. This is one of my favorite shots. I always appreciate any feedback, good or bad.

Dave

2307257-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 29, 2004
    dkapp wrote:
    I hope you don't mind me jumping in on this. I just started doing b&w a few weeks ago. This is one of my favorite shots. I always appreciate any feedback, good or bad.

Dave

2307257-M.jpg
    Welcome aboard - Too much sky, perhaps? Is the building or the trees the center of interest...... Nice tonality tho.

How about a window in a warehouse ....... I hope this does not set Baldy off on me......Laughing.gif

2622516-L.jpg

• Options
    edited March 1, 2004
    My first use of the Stitch Assist function on my new baby (A Canon G5). This shot was originally in color. Used photoshop to correct the levels, burn in the farm house, clone out a nuclear power plant in the background, and convert the image to B&W.
    2633773-L.jpg

I tried to re/un-destrort the bend in the horizon, but I never got a result that I liked.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    My first use of the Stitch Assist function on my new baby (A Canon G5). This shot was originally in color. Used photoshop to correct the levels, burn in the farm house, clone out a nuclear power plant in the background, and convert the image to B&W.
    2633773-L.jpg

I tried to re/un-destrort the bend in the horizon, but I never got a result that I liked.
    Cletus - give it a whirl with the Liquify brush in Photoshop - I did - and this is what I got

• Options
    edited March 1, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Cletus - give it a whirl with the Liquify brush in Photoshop - I did - and this is what I got
    Thanks. I'll give that a try. I'll also give the Spherize filter another shot too.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2004
    A couple of Churches

2635586-M.jpg

Next door is the old abandoned one.
    2635589-M.jpg

I had nothing else to post so...

Cheers,
    Tim
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    A couple of Churches

2635586-M.jpg

Next door is the old abandoned one.
    2635589-M.jpg

I had nothing else to post so...

Cheers,
    Tim
    nice black and white shots.. this one came out really poorly but I thought I'd post it anyway as it's black and white..
    ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    nice black and white shots.. this one came out really poorly but I thought I'd post it anyway as it's black and white..
    ne_nau.gif
    Lynn,

Other than maybe a little straightening that's a great shot. I'm not sure what you wanted to come out better.

If you keep turning out work like this you're going to have to remove the 'Wannabee' from your sig.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2004
    We need more black and white?
    Well here you go. Any questions?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    SandySandy Registered Users Posts: 762 Major grins
    edited March 1, 2004
    Here's one for texture.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2004
    fish wrote:
    Well here you go. Any questions?
    Fish, it looks like you need to do a little levels adjustment on that image. That white is not quite true white.
  • Options
    edited March 1, 2004
    cletus wrote:
    Fish, it looks like you need to do a little levels adjustment on that image. That white is not quite true white.
    :splat
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2004
    Sam wrote:

Is that the Reyes Point lighthouse? I swear I took the same shot once (although, at the time, they were doing work on it and there was scaffolding up).
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 5, 2004
    Shakey wrote:
    I took this tonight ,original in Black and White. I just cant get enough of them.
    2537479-M.jpg
    Found my old tripod so I had to shoot something.

What did you use to make the star effect? A lens filter or a photoshop filter?

I'm trying to find a photoshop filter to do that.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com