Yankees vs. Mariners on 70-300 IS

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited May 17, 2007 in Sports
Wow, the more I use my 70-300 IS lens, the more I love it. I had some second tier seats, pretty far from the action. I nevertheless managed to get some decent shots. It would have been better had people actually remained seated during the game.

153070525-M.jpg

153070377-M.jpg

153070111-M.jpg

fraternizing with the enemy
153070488-M.jpg

153070767-M.jpg

after a couple of tit for tat hittings of the batter with the ball, a hockey game suddenly broke out!
153070714-M.jpg

It's outta here!
153070915-M.jpg

That image stabilizer really works! This pitch is about 90 mph, and I'm about 100 yards away.
153071511-M-0.jpg

Foul Ball
153072127-M.jpg

Pitchers tired out, pitchers screwing up, pitchers getting yanked for beaning the batter; both teams went through just about every throwing arm that they had.
153072207-M.jpg

Maybe it's a bit repetitive, but I just have to add, for you European viewers, that's 100 meters away, and that's most definitely a canon.
153072273-M.jpg

My favorite shot of the day:

153072711-M.jpg

Al this brought to you by the technology of Canon:

153070252-M.jpg
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Glad you're happy with the lens. Truth of the matter is though - you're just too far away to get quality SPORTS shots though. There is too little detail in these shots for them to be quality sports shots. It's not your fault at all - you had good timing on some of them. It's just that you tried to accomplish a task that was beyond the equipment / location limitations.

As fan shots, they're great snaps that will be a good memory for you. But if you want quality sports shots you need to get a lot closer to the action (I know - easier said than done).
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    johng wrote:
    Glad you're happy with the lens. Truth of the matter is though - you're just too far away to get quality SPORTS shots though. There is too little detail in these shots for them to be quality sports shots. It's not your fault at all - you had good timing on some of them. It's just that you tried to accomplish a task that was beyond the equipment / location limitations.

As fan shots, they're great snaps that will be a good memory for you. But if you want quality sports shots you need to get a lot closer to the action (I know - easier said than done).

I know John. I'm not a sports shooter, I got a free ticket to the ball game and decided to bring the camera along. The seats weren't great, but you can't argue with free, though!
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • gpphotosgpphotos Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    might wanna note that IS only works to help with camera shake, it doesnt help with motion blur caused by the subject moving very fast. if you're shooting above say, 1/60, then you should leave the IS turned off because all its doing is draining your battery :)
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    Justiceiro wrote:
    but you can't argue with free, though!

Amen to that!