can't upload on Vista machine

richturkrichturk Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited May 16, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Working on PC w/vista pre-installed.

First went into IE 7.0, tried to upload, and had to download java run-time. Java applet installed and ran. Now everytime I just go into the upload screen in Smugmug, IE 7.0 whole window just disappears(IE 7.0closes down)

So I tried Mozilla Firefox, using the universal drag and drop uploader. First I get some kind of vista error saying the desktop has to switch from aero due to incompatablitly. Then I go to "browse files", I can only click on one file in the directory dialog box and the window freezes up.

The only way I can upload now is the old uploader where you have 5 open boxes and have to pull out each file one at a time.MUST edit this...the uploader just hangs...I get the smugmug is uploading your files animation, but nothing is getting thru

pls advise.

Thank you

www.richturkphotos.com

Comments

• richturkrichturk Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    addendum to my query
    I got this pc in Feb and have in the past succesfully uploaded. I think this new install of Java may have screwed things up.
    richturk wrote:

First went into IE 7.0, tried to upload, and had to download java run-time. Java applet installed and ran. Now everytime I just go into the upload screen in Smugmug, IE 7.0 whole window just disappears(IE 7.0closes down)

So I tried Mozilla Firefox, using the universal drag and drop uploader. First I get some kind of vista error saying the desktop has to switch from aero due to incompatablitly. Then I go to "browse files", I can only click on one file in the directory dialog box and the window freezes up.

The only way I can upload now is the old uploader where you have 5 open boxes and have to pull out each file one at a time.---MUST edit this...the uploader just hangs...I get the smugmug is uploading your files animation, but nothing is getting thru

pls advise.

Thank you

www.richturkphotos.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    richturk wrote:
    Unfortunately, Vista is known to have all sorts of problems ne_nau.gif
    However, only one of my customers (I mean: Star*Explorer users) has some issues with it (I'm working on a solution for him), at least I haven't heard from the rest of the 400+ crowd, and I know that quite a few guys have already switched.
    Get the free trial and see if it works for you, the app footprint is negligible.
    EDIT: Darn, I forgot... Site is down, the host company screwed up my DNS settings, it will take a day or two to clear :-(.
    Drop me an email, I'll send you the latest install.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • richturkrichturk Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    problem resolved
    thanks Nikolai.

I wound up removing the Java program and reinstalling or updating to 1.6 and my problems w/both firefox and IE seem to be resolved.

rich turk
    www.richturkphotos.com
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 16, 2007
    richturk wrote:
    I got this pc in Feb and have in the past succesfully uploaded. I think this new install of Java may have screwed things up.
    yeah, you're on the right track. Uninstall the version of java you have and then go to www.java.com and install the latest version from there.

That should get you squared away.

edit: I see you did. nevermind thumb.gif
    Pedal faster
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    richturk wrote:
    thanks Nikolai.

I wound up removing the Java program and reinstalling or updating to 1.6 and my problems w/both firefox and IE seem to be resolved.

rich turk
    www.richturkphotos.com

Great, cool, glad you're back in business! clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"