How do I emphasize the flower petal here?

mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
edited May 18, 2007 in Finishing School
Hi Everyone,

I've mucked with this image, but to no real help. I'm trying to bring out the detail in the water droplet cupped by the flower petal, but without sacrificing a lot of other detail:

153151357-M.jpg

Or is it fine as is, and bringing out the water droplet is just too much?

Thanks!

Comments

• RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Problem I see is that the image has a very narrow DOF (f/5). The water drop that want detail is out of focus in the original.

That said, I did some tweaking. TI extrated the petal, and sharpened the drop. To the overall image I also added an additional filter to "hide" the dramatic contrast when bumping up the sharpness of the drop. It's not perfect, but maybe it helps?

153251536-O.png
  • BinaryFxBinaryFx Registered Users Posts: 707 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    I can hear Rutt screaming (in his sleep?) HIRALOAM from the other side of the planet!

That being HIRAdiusLOwAMount unsharp masking on a duplicated layer, with lower light halo contribution than the dark halo and perhaps a layer mask.
    One could set-up a duplicate USM layer as described here:

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/howto_sharpen.html

Regards,

Stephen Marsh.
    http://members.ozemail.com.au/~binaryfx/
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    I agree with David that the DOF is shallow and the focus is on the upper edge of the petal and the brown small petal next to it, not the water drops. I would try a re-shoot! :D
  • mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    ah, crud, I see you're right about the focus issue.

reshooting is probably not possible, as this was a flower in someone else's garden.

Ah well.
  • nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Something like this?

153444886-L.jpg
    edited May 17, 2007
    Yes! That's what I'm looking for! How'd you do it?
  • nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    mmroden wrote:
    Yes! That's what I'm looking for! How'd you do it?

1. Converted to Lab, new curves adjustment layer, and hit auto. In case of your image, it increased the contrast with more emphasis to the highlights.

2. Merged the layers to a new layer and did the HIROLOAM sharpening technique to the L channel. I kept the radius slider higher than normal to emphasize the shape of the entire petal instead of the details within it. I then added a layer mask to reveal the petal only.

3. Converted to RGB (merged layers)

4. Option clicked on the new layer icon and in the pop-up window I selected Soft Light blending mode and fill with 50% grey. This sets up a non-destructive dodge/burn layer where I used a white brush to dodge the highlights and a black brush to burn the shadows of only the water droplets. This increases the contrast of the droplets thus drawing more attention to them.

HTH,
    Nikos
    edited May 17, 2007
    delicious. I shall try it postehaste. Thanks!
    edited May 18, 2007