lps sf1, presubmission critique

Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
edited May 17, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Has anyone else thought what I have thought? Which is this, since you don't ask judges for presubmission critique, and our judges this time are ALL dgrinners, does that mean we won't be seeing threads for presubmission critique?

Hmmmmm...

Tessa
Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
www.printandportfolio.com
This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    I'm sure that thought has gone through all our heads. Notice how quiet the board is? rolleyes1.gif

Proabably the best place to get a pre-submission critique for this would be over in the Whipping post.

headscratch.gif I can't think of another solution. Can anyone else? If not, then we'll probably have to be on our own this time around.
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Tessa HD wrote:
    Has anyone else thought what I have thought? Which is this, since you don't ask judges for presubmission critique, and our judges this time are ALL dgrinners, does that mean we won't be seeing threads for presubmission critique?

Hmmmmm...

Tessa

Well technically, the judges are not all dgrinners (not for the qualifier part at least). The Public Choice part they are.

As for me I just haven't had time to shoot anything yet. But I do plan on posting my photos as soon as I shoot em.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 16, 2007
    to clarify, yet again:

- as in all other contests, judges will select the 10 best entries from SF1

- from these 10, an open vote (all dgrinners) will select the Public Choice Award

As for the other part of your query... you are now in an elite group of semifinalists. It's up to you what to do. There are no rules for/against commenting threads.
    :D
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    guess I was confused...
    When I read this in the rules: "An open vote determines a winner for each semifinal", I stopped there and assumed wrong.

So who are the judges for the semi-final #1?

Tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
    edited May 16, 2007
    Tessa HD wrote:
    you'll find out in due time...

I kinda like the suspense, maybe I'll convince Shay not to announce the judges until the very end from now on.
    deal.gif
    Erik

edited May 16, 2007
    Tessa HD wrote:
    When I read this in the rules: "An open vote determines a winner for each semifinal", I stopped there and assumed wrong.

Tessa
    That's what had me confused as well. :confused
    DoctorIt wrote:
    ...as in all other contests, judges will select the 10 best entries from SF1
    Thanks for clarifying. thumb.gif

I guess we'll find out soon enough what that's all about! biggrinbounce2.gif
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I kinda like the suspense, maybe I'll convince Shay not to announce the judges until the very end from now on.
    deal.gif

*cough* masochist *cough*
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    I'm with Pyro, I just haven't shot anything yet.
    But I got lucky. Grimace and I had set up a trip to Yosemite back in Jan.
    It just so happens that the trip falls into this semi challenge.:D

After I get out there I'll post a couple of maybe's for the challenge. (if we have the internet at the lodge)

Good luck semi-people.mwink.gif
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited May 16, 2007
    how fortunate for you!!!
    Now I'm feeling really intimidated! :uhoh

Tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Tessa HD wrote:
    Now I'm feeling really intimidated! :uhoh

Tessa

Don't be.
    The best photo may be in your backyard.ne_nau.gif

The backyard:

153332082-L.jpg

153332089-L.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • rddphotosrddphotos Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    just post the shoot, forget the critique and go for it. If you made it this far it wasn't by accident.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    Tessa.....
    Dave's right (although we know we'd both like waterfalls with mountains, God beams, rainbows and reflections) rolleyes1.gif. Our northshore trip was 2 weeks ago and certainly had some images that would have worked for this semi....so, being in the same boat as you.....get out there and shoot...lots of stuff....look for the proper light and mood. You'll do great.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    Hmmm, I was just wondering how many of the semifinalists are in Utah right now with Marc Muench. Lucky dogs!
    edited May 17, 2007
    seastack wrote:
    Hmmm, I was just wondering how many of the semifinalists are in Utah right now with Marc Muench. Lucky dogs!
    Great locations are everywhere! If anything, those finalists in Utah are at a disadvantage, all focusing on the same topic...
    Erik

• DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Great locations are everywhere! If anything, those finalists in Utah are at a disadvantage, all focusing on the same topic...

...and on scenes that have been shot to death...
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
    edited May 17, 2007
    yup, you're right Swartzy...
    Shoot, shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. I think I'm really missing a theme for some focus. I step outside and I think my eyeballs go different directions looking for anything and everything that could have potential! This is TOUGH! Well have fun, I can't wait to see what we all come up with!

Tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    edited May 17, 2007
    Actually,
    I was wondering where YOU were!! mwink.gif

Have fun,

Tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • osoiosoi Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    So if there are judges, what the hell are they judging on if there is no theme...headscratch.gif simply technic.. if thats the case the best photoshop person has the best chance of winning.

It was unnerving when it was just coming up with a photo to sway the public of dgrin but now to know that there is a panel of judges makes even harder... if we dont get to know who the judges are, can we atleast know what they will be looking for in the photos?
    edited May 17, 2007
    osoi wrote:
    So if there are judges, what the hell are they judging on if there is no theme...headscratch.gif simply technic.. if thats the case the best photoshop person has the best chance of winning.
    A lot more than Photoshop goes into making a good photo. Judges do pay attention to composition, lighting, mood, etc. In one exhibit I got "dinged" because a judge did not like my choice of mat. eek7.gif You can't predict how a judge is going to react to one of your entry pieces. Bottom line is that YOU have to be happy with your piece.

Beginning Friday, I will be exhibiting 2 pieces in a show that had a wide open theme. It's not all that uncommon. The exhibit will have film and digital entries in it. As a matter of fact the Best in Show is a film piece. So much for Photoshop. ne_nau.gif
    edited May 17, 2007
    that's interesting, Linda,
    Good of you to share that.

If you're in a competition, I hope you do well; if they are for sale - I hope they sell!

Tessa

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    ...and on scenes that have been shot to death...

And the decision of what to post knowing several others shot the same thing.

Limited time to post process due to the trip and catchig up after it.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    The semifinal is a proving ground. Having made it past the qualifying round you now have to flex more creative muscle. The semifinal is harder than a qualifying round for sure. You have shown the ability to fulfill a theme, now you need to get jazzy and free form and show us what you are made of on the inside :D

What will the judges be looking for? Much the same as in the qualifying rounds, photos that move them to choose your photo to be in their top ten list. Being an open theme, the judges will be looking for the most awesome photos.

The top ten finalists of this semifinal will be eligible to compete in the Grand Finale, where the best of the best will be working for the top spot to walk away as the Last Photographer Standing! The Last Photographer Standing will be able to shoot to theme, shoot from their heart, and consistently impress any judge of their work.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • osoiosoi Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    The Last Photographer Standing will be able to shoot to theme, shoot from their heart, and consistently impress any judge of their work.
    I guess I'm just worrying because I have just a small window to work in, personal issues, that the new information of judges scared me more.. thanks for your response Shay. I feel better with that idea sitting in my mind.