group shots and DOF

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited May 22, 2007 in Technique
I'm getting ready to be shooting some family shots in the next few weeks, and I'm wondering if there's a rule of thumb or ball park aperture I should be using to make sure I have enough DOF to get a family of 5 all in focus. I'll most likely be outside and use my 90mm f/2.8, and I like to shoot with shallow DOF, but I don't want to miss anyone's face in the group. Do you think f/8 will work, or do I need to go narrower? I may also try a 70-210 f/4 lens and I may try to squeeze in an indoors shot with a 28-75, f/2.8 lens. I'm so used to shooting one person that I'm just trying to get mentally prepared for how this will work.

Thanks!

Elaine
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    There isn't a single number because it depends on the interaction between focal length, aperture, and distance to the subject, so it's probably best to use the depth of field scale on your lens, if it has one, or one of the depth of field calculators on the web.
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    There isn't a single number because it depends on the interaction between focal length, aperture, and distance to the subject, so it's probably best to use the depth of field scale on your lens, if it has one, or one of the depth of field calculators on the web.

Sigh...I figured this would be the answer. :D Time to do some more reading! Thanks!

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • bsvirginianbsvirginian Registered Users Posts: 241 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2007
    :D I wouldn't take a 90mm along for a group shot. You'd have to be standing across the street to get them in.
    Depending on how many people would determine how man rows in the group you have and that would be how to determine what DOF you would require.
    And of course read a lot. bsvirginian
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif Take the 28-70 and leave room on the sides of the frame...wide angles can be unflattering to those on the edges, but otherwise you should be fine.
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif Take the 28-70 and leave room on the sides of the frame...wide angles can be unflattering to those on the edges, but otherwise you should be fine.

I like the 24-70 for this type of shot. Take a look at this web site and you can get a sense of the DOF that you will get at various apertures and distances
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    For most subjects you get the most natural looking portrait perspective when shooting from around 6-9 feet. Generally that means you want to use a wider lens for shooting groups than individuals. In practice, I shoot group shots at 35mm or 50mm (with a full frame 35mm body, I'd use 24mm and 35mm llenses on an APS-C body).

As for aperture settings, it depends a lot on how you pose your group. If they are spread out you will be shooting at shorter focal lengh so you can get away with a faster aperture. If they are packed tightly together and staggered in depth you need to stop down quite a bit. As an example, I took a shot of 23 people with a 35mm lens at f/4 and everyone is sharp as a tack with plenty of room to spare. However, a tight shot of a group of 3 at the same aperture (with a 50mm this time) was pushing the boundaries and one person in the shot was softer than I would have liked. Sadly, there is no simple rule; it is something you have to develop a feeling for with practice.