turning originals on and off

com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
edited May 17, 2007 in SmugMug Support
i think a great feature would be to make originals available to the person logged into the account (owner), even when having originals turned off in the customization area.

often times, i'll need to access originals remotely (not from home, where all my originals are stored), and i'll have to briefly turn on originals, grab what i need, the turn em back off.

okay, maybe not a "Great feature," but more like a necessity. :D

Comments

• BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    It's been asked for many times...

Some other ways to get an original:

1) Temporarily move the photo to a private gallery where you have originals turned on, then grab the original and move the photo back.

2) Make a 2nd copy of the photo and move the copy to a private "originals" gallery

3) Use a tool like AlbumFetcher
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    It's been asked for many times...

Some other ways to get an original:

1) Temporarily move the photo to a private gallery where you have originals turned on, then grab the original and move the photo back.

2) Make a 2nd copy of the photo and move the copy to a private "originals" gallery

3) Use a tool like AlbumFetcher

what were the reasons for not implementing it?

1) more work than simply allowing originals for owners
    2) more work than simply allowing originals for owners
    3) more work than simply allowing originals for owners...AND a lot of times, i'm not on my personal computer, and may be on the road on foreign computers and such.

but 1 and 2 are good ideas. maybe i should just have a permanent "temp" gallery or something. thanks!
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    com3 wrote:
    what were the reasons for not implementing it?

I don't think a reason has ever been given... here is a request for this way back in 2004.

This thread mentions originals with some ideas for implementation (along with right-click disable).

It's #18 on this list of feature requests.

There are probably more, these are just the ones I quickly found...
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • com3com3 Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    so who do i talk to to in order for a possible change to be made/excellent justification of no change to be made? :D
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    ...There are probably more, these are just the ones I quickly found...

I even tried to show them how to do it here :D