Options

Monitor Differences

pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited May 17, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Does anyone have a good solution to ensuring that the image you see in your monitor is going to look the same in other peoples monitors?

My last image looked fine on one monitor and slightly underdone on another, but I've ad a few comments of it being slightly overdone from others.

Any help or suggestions?

Thanks/Peter
"Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
My images | My blog | My free course

Comments

• Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    monitors,
    nope. not unless you use a monitor calibrator and know that everyone that is viewing your photo used the same calibrator and in the same way. That's my opinion anyways. I have some other artists' works in my galleries and I get that complaint all the time. I calibrated my monitor, but even then, I think it's far from perfect.

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    There was a discussion about that in one of the other forums here. Just try a search using "monitor calibration" as the search term.

You may alreay have something called Adobe gamma installed on your computer, which does calibrating. But there are other products out there that you can purchase which do a better job. And, that's precisely what that thread covers.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    pemmett wrote:
    Does anyone have a good solution to ensuring that the image you see in your monitor is going to look the same in other peoples monitors?

There is no solution.

There might be a solution if you had not said "other peoples monitors." For example, you can calibrate every monitor in your home or studio to be as perfect as possible, and a photo might look reasonably identical across all your own monitors. But when the photo is viewed by all your friends and relatives, there is just no practical way to ensure that all of their monitors are calibrated to spec. Half of them won't even know what you're talking about, and a fair number of their monitors are probably unknowingly set to brightness, contrast, and white point values that are nowhere near optimal. It's a mess out there.
  • Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    Thanks. I thought as much, but was hoping there might be some magical powder people can sprinkle on their monitors so we can all be the same :D

Oh well, at least I've learned about being able to callibrate my monitor to my printer :D

Thanks/Peter
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    pemmett wrote:
    Thanks. I thought as much, but was hoping there might be some magical powder people can sprinkle on their monitors so we can all be the same :D

Oh well, at least I've learned about being able to callibrate my monitor to my printer :D

Thanks/Peter

It starts with Brightness & Contrast and then set Gamma.

The test image in this link is one of the best I've found for helping balance Brightness & Contrast correctly.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1006&message=22835742

I use this site for "eye balling" gamma after using Samsung's Gamma setter...

http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm#menu