Options

Uhhhg! CRT vs LCD again....

MilnerMilner Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited May 18, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Help me decide:dunno
I have found a 21" and 22" factory reconditioned CRT's using sony trinitron and Mitsu diamond tubes for about (a little less) as the LCD's I have bee considering. Sceptre x20wc is an MVA, ViewEra v210d-b is MVA, or various Dells with spva/sips/pva panels....

What would you get? Why?
I have read many places to avoid TN panels. But is there a reason to choose s-IPS over MVA or PVA? I am leaning to LCD for the space factor, and hopes of adding a second monitor soon.

All my parts arrived so I can build my new machine this weekend. I need to order a monitor TODAY. So Postup!! I love opinions!!!!
THANKS
Marc

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited May 18, 2007
    bump
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    Milner wrote:
    Help me decidene_nau.gif
    I have found a 21" and 22" factory reconditioned CRT's using sony trinitron and Mitsu diamond tubes for about (a little less) as the LCD's I have bee considering. Sceptre x20wc is an MVA, ViewEra v210d-b is MVA, or various Dells with spva/sips/pva panels....

What would you get? Why?
    I have read many places to avoid TN panels. But is there a reason to choose s-IPS over MVA or PVA? I am leaning to LCD for the space factor, and hopes of adding a second monitor soon.

All my parts arrived so I can build my new machine this weekend. I need to order a monitor TODAY. So Postup!! I love opinions!!!!
    THANKS
    Marc
    I'll never buy another CRT again after having to deal with focus issues with my last one. Text was just too blurry on parts of the screen.

As for S-IPS vs MVA vs S-PVA vs TN, I suggest you browse the reviews here:

http://www.behardware.com/html/cat/22/

Find the pages where the reviewer has snapshots of the monitors from various angles - these are usually from above, below, right, and left. You should be able to see that the S-IPS panels demonstrate the least amount of colour/gamma/brightness shift at various angles.

ie >> http://www.behardware.com/articles/643-5/19-lcd-survey-of-inexpensive-and-quality-screens.html

S-IPS and S-PVA are very close but some people find that S-PVA tends to crush the blacks. Others like the fact that with S-PVA they get a black that is very close to black as opposed to a grayish black on S-IPS screens. IMHO, I think some people have not balanced their brightness & contrast correctly.

All the 22" panels are TN so don't waste your time there. On the larger TN panels the top of your screen can look darker than bottom if you sit with your head low versus the panel height.
  • Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    Since I don't have money or even reason to buy top quality graphic LCDs -
    I still use good ol' CRT guys.
    No complaints yet.
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)