U14G AAU Basketball

vt1122vt1122 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited May 17, 2007 in Sports
Here are a few pictures from my daughters AAU game. I have been keeping the score book for most games this year so haven't been able to take many pictures.
All of these were taken at ISO1600, F2.8, flourecent WB.

153536918-M.jpg

153537845-M.jpg

153539272-M.jpg

153539846-M.jpg

153540353-M.jpg

Comments

• DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    David nice job catching some action. I see you have a nice white wall behind the stands. I think taking a shot of the at 1/30s or slower (to allow for any cycling lights) and using that as a custom white balance will give you a nicer overall color to your shots. They are also a bit underexposed. I took the liberty to do a color adjustment and curves adjustment to get a result you may be happier with. If you want this correction not posted just let me know and it will be gone.

You will note that by underexposing and bringing it up in PP the noise becomes more prevelant. That is why getting the exposure correct or slightly overexposed out of the camera will give you cleaner results at the higher ISO's.

Dan

153575842-L.jpg
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • vt1122vt1122 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    Thanks for the advice Dan. I will try that next time. Will have to read the manual to figure out how. headscratch.gif
    This is the first time I tried the flourecent WB. I usually just leave it on auto. I believe I had exposure set to -2/3 and still had some blown highlights on the white jerseys.
    I appreciate any advice to get better pictures as shot. Usually have 400 to 600 per weekend to get thru between soccer and basketball. The less post the better.
  • DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    David don't worry about blown highlights, it is inevitable with white jerseys, it is more important to get correct exposure on the face. Your audience will be looking at faces, not jerseys. You really don't want a negative exposure compensation, you just underexpose the skin and when you try to brighten the noise rears its ugly head.

Custom white balance is very easy to use, your cameras manual should give you a good explaination. You could also shoot RAW and correct that way but you mentioned keeping PP to a minimum so JPEG with CWB works well in most cases. With gyms I have shot in before and know the lighting I have also used a K temp adjustment to get the proper color balance. Some gyms because the lights cycle so bad won't give you good results no matter what you do.

You have nice action with your shots, just work a bit on exposure and white balance and you will have great shots!
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • vt1122vt1122 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    Thanks again Dan.