Semi-Final Submission - Critique Wanted

pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited May 23, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I’m not shy and I need all the help I can get – "Beginner Grinner" is my middle name.

This was taken of a screen with moving images during a theatre performance produced by the high school which my daughter goes to. Does this count as an image? Is it worthy of submission? Please comment.

503267193_6f31bf6840.jpg
"Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
My images | My blog | My free course

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    pemmett wrote:
    I’m not shy and I need all the help I can get – "Beginner Grinner" is my middle name.

This was taken of a screen with moving images during a theatre performance produced by the high school which my daughter goes to. Does this count as an image? Is it worthy of submission? Please comment.

Well, honestly, while it's kinda interesting, I'm not sure this is an image I'd choose.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    lps sf 1
    It IS interesting, however I wonder if there's too much information with lack of a focal point or movement.

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    I agree with Tessa
    It's a cool photo. But I can too easily picture a judge commenting about how his or her eye just keeps wandering throughout the photo.

I know you can do better. mwink.gif:D
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    Thanks everyone for the quick feedback. Just to let you know the play was adapted from the book "I Never Saw Another Butterfly" by Hanna Volavkoya from the second world war and is about the children who died in the concentration camps who left pictures behind.

I found that the photo is disturbing and reflects the mood and tone of the play very well. However without this background it obviously doesn't work.

Cheers/Peter
  • TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    pemmett wrote:
    Thanks everyone for the quick feedback. Just to let you know the play was adapted from the book "I Never Saw Another Butterfly" by Hanna Volavkoya from the second world war and is about the children who died in the concentration camps who left pictures behind.

I found that the photo is disturbing and reflects the mood and tone of the play very well. However without this background it obviously doesn't work.

Cheers/Peter

Hi Peter, while the photo depicts the disturbing mood and tone of a play. I believe the viewer would not have known this w/o your description. Hence how would the judges and/or viewers know what you are trying to get across??

Really nice picture though!!
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    I think it's beautiful.
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    butterflies
    definitely becomes more powerful with your background information.

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    edited May 18, 2007
    tsk1979 wrote:
    Slim chance of making it in top 10. rolleyes1.gif

I agree now but I had to start somewhere to get my thoughts together to find a direction to head towards. I have really got a bad case of photographers block and thought I would start with my best image from the last few days to try and get the creativity juices flowing.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.
    edited May 18, 2007
    I think you can definitely draw some inspiration from that. mwink.gif
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2007
    pemmett wrote:
    I agree now but I had to start somewhere to get my thoughts together to find a direction to head towards. I have really got a bad case of photographers block and thought I would start with my best image from the last few days to try and get the creativity juices flowing.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

You're trying too hard my friend. Take a deep breath, let it out slow, and find something to do that relaxes you. An idea will hit you when you're not putting a lot of pressure on yourself...
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    You're trying too hard my friend. Take a deep breath, let it out slow, and find something to do that relaxes you. An idea will hit you when you're not putting a lot of pressure on yourself...
    15524779-Ti.gif
    "Be a crocodile" nod.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif
    "Be a crocodile" nod.gif

Exactly... :cool
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
    edited May 19, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    "Be a crocodile" nod.gif

How does one become a crocodile? It sounds like an interesting metaphor but I just don't get it.headscratch.gif
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2007
    Interesting shot but i immediately thought of 'silence of the lambs' when i saw it ne_nau.gif
    edited May 19, 2007
    pemmett wrote:
    How does one become a crocodile? It sounds like an interesting metaphor but I just don't get it.headscratch.gif

Just think of a crocodile in "hunting mode." He's relaxed, he takes a few deep breaths, he floats around a bit, looks around, takes a few more deep breaths, floats around some more, then when something comes his way, BAM! :D
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    Just think of a crocodile in "hunting mode." He's relaxed, he takes a few deep breaths, he floats around a bit, looks around, takes a few more deep breaths, floats around some more, then when something comes his way, BAM! :D

In essence, yes. nod.gif
    I also meant this two-years old post that kinda made a lasting impression on many then frequent dpreview members :-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    Too Deer
    Nikolai wrote:
    In essenCE, yes.

Thanks to Linda, who nailed it, and, Nikolai, whose student mode becomes teacher.
    At first, I did not know the intrepretation of 'crocodile' - then the old dpreview post hit home.

Last week, I was priviledged to go to SE Utah, the home of Canyonlands, the Needles, and Arches! While there, chasing Magic Hour, I found deer in different modes, but mostly tranquil and willing to let shooters come up near them to shoot.

Imagine the high. cool intermontane environment; just thunderstormed, rains in the background like veils across Canyonlands, sparkling trees, incredibly green grass, then a marvelous double rainbow!

At first, I was like a crocodile - still, not wanting to flush the 'quail', then I began to realize they were in a sanctuary; they were home.

Now, I did see a guy try to get too close and finally saw a doe run...
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2007
    pemmett wrote:

This is not for me.
    Robert