XTi vs D40 vs 20D..... XTi Options.

Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
edited May 22, 2007 in Cameras
I have been reading latley on a couple other boards that the XTi isn't really worth it. :dunno

I am looking for options. I have held and fiddled around w/ the nikkons, not a big fan (IMO) they seem awkward, functions placement. Could just take some getting used to.

What is the differance between the XTi and the 20D besides the MP's. Also compared to the D40..

I really want an XTi, but I want to do some research first.

Thanx yall.
Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com

Comments

• darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    Bayer-Z28 wrote:
    I have been reading latley on a couple other boards that the XTi isn't really worth it. ne_nau.gif

I am looking for options. I have held and fiddled around w/ the nikkons, not a big fan (IMO) they seem awkward, functions placement. Could just take some getting used to.

What is the differance between the XTi and the 20D besides the MP's. Also compared to the D40..

Thanx yall.

After losing my first gen Digital Rebel + 2 lenses, I too am in the market for a new SLR. (Since insurance will only cover an SLR replacement, not the $300 S3 I bought. However, since the deductible is $750, I don't even know if it's going to be worth it. :{)

A co-worker who does wedding photography on the side and has invested *heavily* in Canon bodies and lenses actually said that since I'm starting "fresh", I really should look at the Sony Alpha DSLR-A100. It's apparently got a Minolta lens mount, so there's plenty of glass out there, and he was really impressed when he played with his brother-in-law's.

So once I figure out what my insurance will or will not cover, I guess it's time to head over to San Jose Camera and do some testing.

--Darryl

[Also, sorry, after re-reading your post I realize I'm not really answering it, but I guess I'm just in a talkative mood today.]
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    Bayer-Z28 wrote:
    I have been reading latley on a couple other boards that the XTi isn't really worth it. ne_nau.gif

Thanx yall.

20D is bigger, heavier, metal alloy body and shoots 5fps and has a little less high ISO noise when pixel peeping. In print they are likely to be about the same since the Xti has a few more pixels.

If you don't need the 5fps or bigger body then the Xti would work just fine. It's also a better deal than the D40X since with the D40X you're limited to AF-S lenses only if you want AF.

Which means, no Nikon 50/1.8 or 1.4, no 85/1.8 or 1.4 and a others plus it leaves a large portion of 3rd party lenses out too.

Gene
  • Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    Ahhh.. Quite enlightening grasshopper... deal.gif

THanx, and keep em comming..

Sony Alpha opinions vs the XTi?

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 19, 2007
    The Canon 20D is an older model that I can no longer find sold as "new".

The Canon 30D is the current model, and it is considered an upgrade to the Canon XTi, even though the XTi has more pixels. The 30D is a heavier camera and designed for more responsiveness and throughput.

The Nikon D40 is the Nikon entry level dSLR with 6MPix resolution (enough for most applications.) The Nikon D40X is 10MPix resolution, about the same as the Canon XTi. There is much, much more to all of these cameras than resolution, so please don't fixate on that attribute alone.

The Sony Alpha A100 is rather novel camera, but it does not seem to have too much following and is, so far, the only one of its breed. Minolta/Alpha lenses are generally considered very nice quality, especially when considering similar quality levels to the other manufacturers, but the used market is pretty dry right now and even the new lenses seem in relatively short supply (and fairly pricey.) The actual shooting performance overall does not seem up to the same level as Canon and Nikon at a similar price point.

Also consider systems from Olympus and Pentax.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2007
    I was unimpressed with the Sony compared to my XTi when I used it. Once you learn how to use it it's a very capable camera. I probably would have went with the 30D if I had the money, but I don't know how much happier I'd be.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
    edited May 19, 2007
    I'm trying not to fixate on resolution alone. I've heard something about processors and what not... Any opinions on that? or am I overanylizing again... lol3.gif........"Just get the XTi and shutup!"

edited May 20, 2007
    Bayer-Z28 wrote:
    I'm trying not to fixate on resolution alone. I've heard something about processors and what not... Any opinions on that? or am I overanylizing again... lol3.gif........"Just get the XTi and shutup!"

You need to seriously figure what you need your camera to do. Lenses will play a role in how your systen works out, and so will certain accessories like flash.

Almost any modern dSLR is capable of recording excellent images, but some favor certain specialities.

The Canon dRebel 400D/XTi is a very capable camera, and would not be the worst choice you could make in life. :D
    ziggy53
    edited May 20, 2007
    ^ I wasnt clarity, sharpness and NO NOISE!

THis camera I'm using now has great color on certain things, but BAD immage noise. Lacking a little bid of sharpness, which I adjusted on the Immage settings..

I do mostly Nature and Wildlife photography. I also want as much color as the camera will allow.. I'm not much for shooting people, But I am finding more shots that would look good.

edited May 20, 2007
    Bayer-Z28 wrote:
    ^ I wasnt clarity, sharpness and NO NOISE!

THis camera I'm using now has great color on certain things, but BAD immage noise. Lacking a little bid of sharpness, which I adjusted on the Immage settings..

I do mostly Nature and Wildlife photography. I also want as much color as the camera will allow.. I'm not much for shooting people, But I am finding more shots that would look good.

Canon has demonstrated an ability to produce cameras with very low high-ISO noise levels. The current leader is the Canon 5D, but the upcoming 1D MKIII will probably do better with a usable ISO 6400, and a sublime ISO 100-1600.

Clarity and sharpness are lens qualities and the camera itself has less/little impact on those qualities.
    ziggy53
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    A couple of things that make a huge difference to me: ISO 3200, supposedly better AF (IIRC the 20D was much nicer than the XT--9 point vs 7 point). The control dials on the back--I am sure using a Rebel would drive me nuts missing that wheel. 1/8000 shutter & 1/250 synch vs 1/4000 & 1/200 synch. There's probably a number of other little things as well.

Part of the process is to try and determine what specifications are the most important to you, then look at what bodies best meet those needs.