Options

Fly fishing on the River Test

toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
edited May 19, 2007 in Journeys
Due to the goodwill of one of my major vendors, I was rather priviledged today to attempt fly fishing for the first time. Not just any fly fishing, but fly fishing on the River Test in Hampshire (UK). This is one of the world's premier fly fishing rivers. Here's some blurb...

The River Test is regarded as one of the most famous chalk streams in the world. As well as being famous for its high quality fly-fishing sites, the river water is so clean that its waters are used to wash the paper used for British bank notes.

The best time to be on the Test is the 2 to 3 week period in late May/early June when the river's greatest mayfly hatches occur. This period has been dubbed the "Duffer's Holiday", presumably because even the most casual angler can find success at this time because of reckless trout behavior brought on by the profusion of insects.

We were allowed to catch 4 fish each. After about an hour of practice casting, with large trout leaping about waving at us, we were let off on our own. It is a truly special place, peaceful, with clear cool fast moving water which is full of fish. What a superb place to spend a day. I learnt a huge amount and now dont really want to fish anywhere else. Our teacher for the day did warn us though that not all fly fishing is like this - this is something extraordinary.

Of course, I took my camera...

#1 finding a spot - not much of a problem with about 1.5 miles of bank for 12 rods:
153898213-L.jpg

#2 first fish in - that'll be a 4lb brown trout thanks very much:
153898324-L.jpg

#3 major anti-poaching measures in action:
153898492-L.jpg

#4 mean looking mofo - armed to the teeth:
153897903-L.jpg

#5 yours truly - that'll be another 4lb brown trout. Mad buggers - you cant not catch a fish at this place.
153897551-L.jpg

#6 obligatory silky water shot. This area was full of fish. I caught two smaller ones (about 10" long) accidentally when pulling the fly out to re-cast.
153898678-L.jpg

#7 some people who actually know what they are doing:
153897801-L.jpg

#8 oooohhh nooooo it's all gone horribly wrong...
153897451-L.jpg

#9 this chap was 4.25 pounds:
153897349-L.jpg

#10 got this on the way home. Sunset over a barley field. Lovely light, slow shutter. Sweet!
153898016-L.jpg

Before anyone gets uppity about fishing, my 4 fish (largest 4.75 pounds, smallest 4 pounds!!) were gutted and filleted and will be eaten tomorrow for lunch, and the remaining 3 pairs of fillets frozen for later. Yummmm!

Top day out - difficult to beat.

Tobers

Comments

• Options
    carmel6942carmel6942 Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    Beautiful pictures and great looking fish. Wish I could have some of those filetts. I bet they are tasty. thumb.gif
    Carl
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    What a great place to experience your first fly fishing. It is a great place, if a little formal. I have always enjoyed the days I have had there at Timsbury and on the Itchen no. 1 and 8 are classic shots thumb.gif

Stan
  • Options
    DaveKDaveK Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    What a terrific experience and of all places to for your first time!

I live in Virginia and have on occassion ventured up into the Blue Ridge streams where I get excited about a Brookie even getting close to the 1 pound mark. A 4 pounder would send me running :D Nicely done.
    Dave Keith
    "Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take photographs." -- Helmut Newton
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2007
    Great stuff, very nice piccies.

I thought it wasn't fly fishing unless you were standing in the water. deal.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2007
    No wading allowed - apparently it stirs up the silt which ruins it for the folks downstream. The place I went was really informal - a bit of tuition and then we could wander around wherever we wanted. Back to the (large) hut any time to grab some beer out of the fridge. Fishing went on until sunset. Top stuff.

Thanks for the comments from some obviously keen anglers.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2007
    tobers wrote:
    Due to the goodwill of one of my major vendors, I was rather priviledged today to attempt fly fishing for the first time. Not just any fly fishing, but fly fishing on the River Test in Hampshire (UK). This is one of the world's premier fly fishing rivers. Here's some blurb...

Of course, I took my camera...
    Before anyone gets uppity about fishing, my 4 fish (largest 4.75 pounds, smallest 4 pounds!!) were gutted and filleted and will be eaten tomorrow for lunch, and the remaining 3 pairs of fillets frozen for later. Yummmm!
    Top day out - difficult to beat.
    Tobers

Decent sized fish you were catching eek7.gif
    Looks a really nice spot, even for a BBQ or Picnic site :D
    I like images #8 and #9 thumb.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    DaveKDaveK Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 19, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I thought it wasn't fly fishing unless you were standing in the water.

Fly fishing is about the method and gear used, not where you're standing. It can be from within the water, along a bank or in a boat. Here in Virginia the Brookie Trout are easily spooked so getting in a stream and splashing around would pretty much ruin your chance of snagging one.:D
    Dave Keith
    "Look, I'm not an intellectual - I just take photographs." -- Helmut Newton