Canon 1Ds

Greywolf123Greywolf123 Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
edited May 21, 2007 in Cameras
Just picked up a canon 1Ds is it me or is the 1Ds more noisy at iso 800? then a 20D and seems alot slower writing to the CF?

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    It writes a huge file, so if you have a slow card, it's gonna show up.

Dunno about ISO 800 noise. f4 doesn't have anything to do with it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 18, 2007
    Here's a review, from when the 1Ds came out, that discusses its noise performance.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1ds/page14.asp

When you say its "more noisy", what are you comparing it to?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 19, 2007
    The Canon 1Ds is a 5 year old design, and Canon has made a lot of improvements in its chip design, preamp and image processing, which all add up to a much smoother high-ISO performance in the latter camera systems.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2007
    I thought about picking one up also, it just seems to me that the 1Ds bodies are more of a controlled environment/studio type of body when compared to the 1D series.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take anything away from your new gear, I'd just rather the 8.5 FPS for what I want to shoot. If I could get a FF 11MP 8.5 FPS w/high ISO capability camera body, I'd have to sell one of my brothers kidneys.

Isn't that what family is for after all?rolleyes1.gif
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    20DNoob wrote:
    I thought about picking one up also, it just seems to me that the 1Ds bodies are more of a controlled environment/studio type of body when compared to the 1D series.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to take anything away from your new gear, I'd just rather the 8.5 FPS for what I want to shoot. If I could get a FF 11MP 8.5 FPS w/high ISO capability camera body, I'd have to sell one of my brothers kidneys.

Isn't that what family is for after all?rolleyes1.gif

The 1Ds Mark II has much better noise performance than the 1Ds. It's a way new camera, and its noise performance and overall picture performance is on par with the best that Canon offers (the 1Ds Mark II and the 5D are the best).

I think the 1D Mark III may set new standards there, based on the pre-release pictures... giving an extra stop or maybe two in ISO performance.

But it's not fair to compare the original 1Ds with today's cameras... Canon has made HUGE improvements over the past 4-5 years. Yes, the 1Ds is best in studio or controlled lighting (in the right hands, it can produce images that are as good as nearly any 35mm camera today), but it's trickier, and more importantly MUCH SLOWER, than the cameras that are out today.

The 1D Mark II was Canon's real big jump in terms of technology.