Reading DOF Chart

RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
edited May 20, 2007 in Cameras
How to read this chart: At f/1.2 and focusing @ 10m then the depth of field (range of generally sharp focus) will be between 9.42m and 10.65m.

Correct?

154225608-O.gif

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 20, 2007
    The first thing you have to understand about DOF is that it is very "ishy". There are no absolutes and sharpness is a relative term. The concept of "circles of confusion" itself is open to some interpretation.

I prefer the online DOF calculator, but it is not as scientific or as accurate as they would like you to believe. The only truly accurate method is the actual testing of lenses against different subjects and the a personal evaluation of the results to determine if the results are to "your" satisfaction and use.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2007
    Ziggy,

Thanks for the information - pretty much knew that, but refresher information is always good.

I was primarily curious if I was interpreting the chart's information correctly - not necessarilyt that the numbers were absolutes - just wanted to know if I understood was was being shown.

That said - am I interpreting the chart's information correctly; e.g., at 10m and f/1.2 Canon's test show a range of focus between 9.42m and 10.65m (or just under 1m)? I understand my results may and will vary should I get and use this lens.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 20, 2007
    RogersDA wrote:
    Ziggy,

Thanks for the information - pretty much knew that, but refresher information is always good.

I was primarily curious if I was interpreting the chart's information correctly - not necessarilyt that the numbers were absolutes - just wanted to know if I understood was was being shown.

That said - am I interpreting the chart's information correctly; e.g., at 10m and f/1.2 Canon's test show a range of focus between 9.42m and 10.65m (or just under 1m)? I understand my results may and will vary should I get and use this lens.

Yes, that is the proper interpretation of that table and the Canon 85mm, f1.2L. I do believe that table is designed for a full-frame camera, so a 1.3 or 1.6 crop camera should be slightly more DOF at the same distance.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2007
    Thanks for the information, Ziggy.