Options

San Francisco and Berkeley - trying to be different

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited May 22, 2007 in Landscapes
I was just at a conference in San Francisco this past week and managed to skip out on most of the afternoon sessions to do some photography. The weather didn't cooperate all that well. Mostly boring skies and just enough fog to cut down on the contrast of shots and not nearly enough for those cool shots of the Golden Gate bridge or other areas shrouded in the stuff.
Here are some shots that I tried to compose differently than the average tourist.
How did I do?
Thanks,
E

I like the tourists with the map laid out. They put it away as soon as I got the 70-210 zoom to bring the background in a bit.
154164606-M.jpg

Had to practically scale a wall to get this angle right.
154165933-M.jpg

The bowels of the Golden Gate
154167475-M.jpg

A passing ship
154183021-M.jpg

North Beach. No polarizer used (I don't have one that fits the Sigma 30). I actually like seeing the woman's face within the reflection though.
154172466-M.jpg

Noticed some very reflective marble and gave this a shot...
154175507-M.jpg

Went to Cal about 10 years ago and couldn't pass up the chance to pay homage to Ansel Adams. This one is taken from a much higher vantage point than his as the view from the "Big C" is now covered by trees.
154186080-M.jpg154436614-M.jpg
Again, time of day and conditions didn't allow for a 'crisp' a shot as I would have hoped.

Thanks for looking.
More standard fare here:
http://eoren1.smugmug.com/gallery/2872280
E

Comments

• Options
    Jeff FillmoreJeff Fillmore Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited May 19, 2007
    Passing ship is my favorite.
    Thanks!
    Jeff

flickr

• Options
    edited May 20, 2007
    Thanks Jeff. Appreciate you taking the time to comment.
    E
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    I really like the bowels of the Golden Gate and the passing ship. Looks like you did a good job making some clever shots of a wonderful place to photograph. The reflection of the bridge is neat too! thumb.gif

Elaine
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 22, 2007
    eoren1 wrote:
    154167475-M.jpg

154172466-M.jpg

My all time favorite shot of the bridge. Very unique!!!

and my favorite eatery in North Beach. I dine there every time I'm in the city.

Nice job thumb.gif
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    I agree, the bowels shot is different and cool. Be nice to get a more dramatic sky, but even so, very nice.
    Chris
  • Options
    edited May 22, 2007
    Thanks Elaine. Actually just saw your post on San Francisco as well...nice job.

Angelo-thanks for the very nice comment on 'bowels'. That's very high praise considering how many times this bridge has been shot. This was an interesting shot to get - had to balance the tripod (with legs collapsed to a monopod-type) on a chain link fence and wait for the 20-30mph gusts of wind coming at me under the bridge to die down.

Here's another one I liked (and the fence used for 'bowels'):
    154167892-M.jpg

Chris-thanks as well. I agree about the very boring sky. I think the fact that I couldn't use a nice sky to help balance the shots forced me to look elsewhere for nice compositions.

E