pleasing skin tones help?

Six BeesSix Bees Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited May 22, 2007 in Finishing School
Hi everyone. I have seen red so much in my portraits that I think I am thrown for what might really be the color of skin tone. I have been trying to trust the numbers and not my eyes. All of my shots are coming back with M being higher than Y...now when I correct them, they are equal if not higher. The problem is...I am having a hard time trusting the numbers although I know I should. Would someone look at this shot and tell me if I am correcting the CMYK values or just screwing them up. Is this too yellow??? Thanks in advance!- Carrie
154275661-M.jpg

Comments

• Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2007
    I've struggled with the same thing. But your colors look perfect to me on a Huey calibrated monitor.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2007
    You might try lowering the cyan just a couple of numbers...the whites of her eyes look grayish and it will warm up (but not yellow) her skin tones slightly without adding magenta.
  • Six BeesSix Bees Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited May 20, 2007
    Shane422 wrote:
    I've struggled with the same thing. But your colors look perfect to me on a Huey calibrated monitor.
    thanks for checking it out for me!
    edited May 20, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    You might try lowering the cyan just a couple of numbers...the whites of her eyes look grayish and it will warm up (but not yellow) her skin tones slightly without adding magenta.

you are so right....and I had not noticed...so concerned with red and yellow Laughing.gif Here is my fix.... 154275661-M.jpg
    after:
    154308884-M.jpg
    does it still seem to be too grey? I think I am having a hard time with the technique of correcting these. I keep re-reading the section on pleasing skin tones and I just feel like I am missing something.
    thanks in advance.
    edited May 20, 2007
    Yeah, I know how you feel!!! I just try to keep the yellow higher than the magenta (but not too high) and then eyeball it. I think you may have lowered the cyan too much??? I see a little too much red (opposite of cyan)...somewhere in between, I think. I adjusted it only by 2 numbers on my monitor. But then, I'm overdue to calibrate my monitor, so my numbers may not be the best. I should do that this weekend!!! Cute shot by the way!
    edited May 20, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Yeah, I know how you feel!!! I just try to keep the yellow higher than the magenta (but not too high) and then eyeball it. I think you may have lowered the cyan too much??? I see a little too much red (opposite of cyan)...somewhere in between, I think. I adjusted it only by 2 numbers on my monitor. But then, I'm overdue to calibrate my monitor, so my numbers may not be the best. I should do that this weekend!!! Cute shot by the way!

I just feel like giggling at myself because I think I was liking the second one better because it looked more like what I was used to ...RED..LMAO. Gonna keep working on this. I really don't think I "get" working the numbers. I understand the general rules of keeping Y equal at mininmum to M and that there is some fraction that C is supposed to be to that...maybe that is where I am losing this. I certainly don't want her red and I don't want her to have grey eye balls! Maybe I should sleep on it. Thanks for your help!

I downloaded the trial of 20/20 color md.....what is the opinion on this fix?

154335020-M.jpg
    edited May 22, 2007
    Looks like less yellow, less red and less gray! thumb.gif How does it read out??? I've not heard of 20/20 color md...