Options

Fire in the Pines

behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited May 22, 2007 in Landscapes
I'm sure you all are familiar with the forest fire in the Pine Barrens in South Jersey. I took a ride out yesterday to get some shots. All of these shots are in the area of Warren Grove Bombing Range where the fire was started by a flare dropped by a pilot on a training mission.

This hunter's cover is blown. This is unusual as most hunters in Jersey use tree stands but I've seen this type before.
154252858-L.jpg

The "pygmy" or Scrubbie" pines require the intense heat of fire for their cones to release their seeds. No fire, no seeds. So what you are seeing is actually a good thing.
154255460-L.jpg

154257704-L.jpg

154258678-L.jpg

Across the road from the "plains" are regular pines.
154259707-L.jpg

Still beautiful in it's own way
154260780-L.jpg

154263000-L.jpg

154263771-L.jpg

Talk about forgetting where you parked your car....
154261744-L.jpg

Back over to the plains on a higher elevation
154264641-L.jpg

154279304-L.jpg

154270853-L.jpg

This shot gives a good idea of the expance of the fire
154271685-L.jpg

I may do some hiking throuh there next week. They say you can find some neat things after a fire like that as the under growth is gone exposing all sorts of things.

Bear

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    behr655 wrote:
    I'm sure you all are familiar with the forest fire in the Pine Barrens in South Jersey. I took a ride out yesterday to get some shots. All of these shots are in the area of Warren Grove Bombing Range where the fire was started by a flare dropped by a pilot on a training mission.
    This hunter's cover is blown. This is unusual as most hunters in Jersey use tree stands but I've seen this type before.
    The "pygmy" or Scrubbie" pines require the intense heat of fire for their cones to release their seeds. No fire, no seeds. So what you are seeing is actually a good thing.
    Across the road from the "plains" are regular pines.
    Still beautiful in it's own way
    Talk about forgetting where you parked your car....
    Back over to the plains on a higher elevation
    This shot gives a good idea of the expance of the fire
    I may do some hiking throuh there next week. They say you can find some neat things after a fire like that as the under growth is gone exposing all sorts of things.
    Bear

Wow you did a beautiful job processing this lot Bear clap.gif
    My favourites are #6 #7 #8 and #9

Fires can be so devastating, and it takes years for things to grow back.
    It's interesting how Natures reacts when fires pass through.
    From the burnt ground and trees comes new life :D

Thanks for sharing ... love this series thumb.gif .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    behr655behr655 Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    Thanks skippy. It was difficult shooting. The charred trees and earth made for very strong contrasts against the sky.
    Fortunately there was relativly little personal property loss given the scope of the fire, 13,000 acres burned.

Bear