Help with raw?

PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited May 20, 2007 in Finishing School
Using raw, Ive been reading so many different ways to process.
Do I use "as shot", "flash" or "camera Setting" White balance, using CS2.
Or would DPP be a better program for raw?
How does this look and /or what changes ?
Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2007
    Pamela wrote:
    Using raw, Ive been reading so many different ways to process.
    Do I use "as shot", "flash" or "camera Setting" White balance, using CS2.
    Or would DPP be a better program for raw?
    How does this look and /or what changes ?
    The skin color (particularly faces) looks a little gray to me. When I look at the CMYK read-outs on a couple representative spots in their faces, it appears like there a bit too much cyan (which can make it look gray). I took some cyan out using a selective color layer (reduce cyan in the red) to get this:

154455197-O.jpg

You can probably achieve something similar in the RAW white balance settings, but since I don't have the RAW file, I can't experiment with that.

You've also got quick a tilt going in the background. If you have anythnig wider that has room to rotate it to straighten the railing right behind them or the horizon in the background, that might be something to consider too. This one doesn't have a lot of room for rotating it.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    The skin color (particularly faces) looks a little gray to me. When I look at the CMYK read-outs on a couple representative spots in their faces, it appears like there a bit too much cyan (which can make it look gray). I took some cyan out using a selective color layer (reduce cyan in the red) to get this:

154455197-O.jpg

You can probably achieve something similar in the RAW white balance settings, but since I don't have the RAW file, I can't experiment with that.

You've also got quick a tilt going in the background. If you have anythnig wider that has room to rotate it to straighten the railing right behind them or the horizon in the background, that might be something to consider too. This one doesn't have a lot of room for rotating it.

John
    I do see the gray in my photo.
    When I try different white balances , not any of them look close to your edit. My monitor is not calibrated, Im waiting for the software to come in.
    In your edit the photo looks a little red to me.
    Can I put the raw version attachment? If so how do I size a raw?

Thank you for taking a time with this.
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2007
    Pamela wrote:
    John
    I do see the gray in my photo.
    When I try different white balances , not any of them look close to your edit. My monitor is not calibrated, Im waiting for the software to come in.
    In your edit the photo looks a little red to me.
    Can I put the raw version attachment? If so how do I size a raw?

Thank you for taking a time with this.

There is no way that I know of to post a RAW file here. You could upload the full size image to your Smugmug account and then provide a link to that here, but that wouldn't be the RAW file, just the large JPEG.

For skin-tone, it's really useful to learn how to evaluate it "by-the-numbers" rather than relying solely on your monitor calibration and your eyes. Here's Smugmug's page on evaluating and adjusting skin tone by looking at the numbers which I find very useful.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited May 20, 2007
    If there are parties that want to get your raw file you can use YouSendIt to transfer it to them. The could just PM you with their email address. Then they could get the Raw file to adjust themselves.
    edited May 20, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    There is no way that I know of to post a RAW file here. You could upload the full size image to your Smugmug account and then provide a link to that here, but that wouldn't be the RAW file, just the large JPEG.

For skin-tone, it's really useful to learn how to evaluate it "by-the-numbers" rather than relying solely on your monitor calibration and your eyes. Here's Smugmug's page on evaluating and adjusting skin tone by looking at the numbers which I find very useful.

John

Thank you , I have read that for 2 days, and tried it. Im doing something wrong, my photo doesnt look as good as yours. Im also reading, "Photoshop Lab Color", so maybe I trying to take in too much info at this time. Or I have settings not correct in CS2.
    Im trying real hard to learn everything I can.
    I really appreciate your help
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
    edited May 20, 2007
    mrcoons wrote:
    If there are parties that want to get your raw file you can use YouSendIt to transfer it to them. The could just PM you with their email address. Then they could get the Raw file to adjust themselves.

Mark

Thank you
    If needed I will make a link to my gallery with the photo.
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net