Ants at 2.6x

DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
edited May 22, 2007 in Holy Macro
I've been busy lately :wink

This time I didn't play with the magnification and spent more time working on the lighting. Still not completely happy with it, but still better than last time. 430EX ring flash set to a 4:1 ratio and -1 FEC controlling a bounced 430EX also set to -1. 100mm macro lens + 50mm of extension tubes + 500D diopter on an Xti set to manual mode (F11, 1/200, ISO 200). All hand held (just braced the camera by placing my elbows on my knees).

For Skippy: These ants range from one to three millimeters in thickness -so there is a lot of apparent depth of field :)

154461959-L.jpg

154462361-L.jpg

154462904-L.jpg

154463243-L.jpg
My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    Dalantech wrote:
    I've been busy lately mwink.gif
    This time I didn't play with the magnification and spent more time working on the lighting. Still not completely happy with it, but still better than last time. 430EX ring flash set to a 4:1 ratio and -1 FEC controlling a bounced 430EX also set to -1. 100mm macro lens + 50mm of extension tubes + 500D diopter on an Xti set to manual mode (F11, 1/200, ISO 200). All hand held (just braced the camera by placing my elbows on my knees).

For Skippy: These ants range from one to three millimeters in thickness -so there is a lot of apparent depth of field :)

May I ask how big these Ants are, they look way bigger than the tiny little things we have at my place, the ones around my house are about the size of the the number one on your keyboard and smaller.

Your's appear to have large jaws and are hairy.
    This is yet another great series from you Dalantech clap.gifclap.gif
    ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    May I ask how big these Ants are, they look way bigger than the tiny little things we have at my place, the ones around my house are about the size of the the number one on your keyboard and smaller.

Your's appear to have large jaws and are hairy.
    This is yet another great series from you Dalantech clap.gifclap.gif
    ... Skippy

Thanks Skippy! As ants go these are quite large -I'd say they range from 6 to 12mm in length and 1 to 3mm in thickness (they're not all the same size). I wouldn't be surprised if all ants have hair -I think it's how they sense the world around them (in addition to those antenna). At 2.6x life size the scene is roughly 8.5mm wide (I never crop, so each frame is 8.5mm wide).

For those of you who are metric impaired a millimeter is about the thickness of a U.S. dime.

I'm also convinced that ants communicate the location of food with each other. It's very common for me to see a few ants and then they leave. About five minutes later I'm having a hard time getting a clean shot of a single ant because there are so many of them...
    My SmugMug Gallery

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    Excellent shots John- love ant closeups :)
    Brian V.
    edited May 21, 2007
    Excellent shots John- love ant closeups :)
    Brian V.

Thanks Brian! These guys are gonna force me to build a light box just so I can get the light more diffused...
    My SmugMug Gallery

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    thumb.gif Wow i can just imagin what if i was smaller then them and stuck between them mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited May 22, 2007
    thumb.gif Wow i can just imagin what if i was smaller then them and stuck between them mwink.gif

If they were the size of a kitten we'd all be in some real trouble...
    My SmugMug Gallery