Can't View Images

tucotuco Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
edited September 25, 2007 in SmugMug Support
When I get to my gallery to view my images I am not seeing the photos.

There is a warninig in the bottom left of my browser as follows:

Line 6
Character 373
Error "SmugLoads.length" is null or not an object
Code 0

edit- I just noticed there are several internet explorer errors, not just the one noted above. i rebooted the machine and the problem still exists.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Eric

Comments

• richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    Eric, Can we get the link to your site? Thanks
  • tucotuco Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 21, 2007
    richW wrote:
    Eric, Can we get the link to your site? Thanks

http://tuco.smugmug.com/

Thanks for your help. My wife just let me know she can see the photos from home so I assume its my office laptop or something related.

Eric
  • mym0rymym0ry Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited September 25, 2007
    I'm getting the same error on all Smugmug gallery pages. But only on one computer. What was the fix?
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    mym0ry wrote:
    I'm getting the same error on all Smugmug gallery pages. But only on one computer. What was the fix?
    Try clearing the Smugmug cookies. And also is Java enabled?
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    tuco wrote:
    http://tuco.smugmug.com/

Thanks for your help. My wife just let me know she can see the photos from home so I assume its my office laptop or something related.

Eric
    Could be firewall settings at your work location. Do you have Firefox on your machine to see if it works? Are you able to see this page? http://tuco.smugmug.com/gallery/3361090/1/187519959/Medium
  • mym0rymym0ry Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    Allen wrote:
    Try clearing the Smugmug cookies. And also is Java enabled?

I just cleared the cache on that computer. I haven't logged into my Smugmug account from that computer, so there were no cookies that I could see. I logged in to Smugmug, and everything works now. I logged out, and things still worked. I don't really see how clearing the cache could have fixed it? Especially since other Smugmug pages which I'd never visited before didn't load before.

But it works now anyway. Thanks!
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    mym0ry wrote:
    I just cleared the cache on that computer. I haven't logged into my Smugmug account from that computer, so there were no cookies that I could see. I logged in to Smugmug, and everything works now. I logged out, and things still worked. I don't really see how clearing the cache could have fixed it? Especially since other Smugmug pages which I'd never visited before didn't load before.

But it works now anyway. Thanks!

Since any given page at Smugmug consists of many separate files, including a bunch of cached JavaScript files, it is possible to get a mismatched set of files that don't work together in your cache. It would be analagous to have the wrong version of some DLL for a regular program. Clearing the cache causes the browser to reload all the JavaScript files at once and it gets a consistent set of files that all work together.

If everything works right, this isn't supposed to happen, but there could be either some problem in the browser or some sequence of events at Smugmug that could lead to this problem.

The challenge is that these kinds of sites need good caching of the .JS files so they don't have to get loaded on every page visit. But, whenever they update the files, you need new versions immediately of all of them. Somewhere that logic is occasionally flawed. Clearning the cache always resets you back to a fresh set of files.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question