What is the best way to metering using a graduated filter?

JayMurphyJayMurphy Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 Big grins
edited June 11, 2007 in Technique
I just purchased two graduated ND filters 2 stop soft, 3 stop hard and I was wondering what would be the best suggested way to the metering system. I have a 30D and will be using 24-70mm 2.8L and 70-200mm 2.8 DG/EX I am planning on getting some sunrises and sunsets. Also which is the most common method hand holding the filters or using filter holders?

Thnx
J. Murph

Comments

• LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    Use a holder--hand holding filters is a pain in the neck. As for the metering system--SLRs all have through the lens metering which means they read correctly and in fact usually work better with the filter in place. Just make sure you don't move the filter between metering and taking the shot.

If you use a hand held light meter or lighting guidelines (like sunny 16) for setting your exposure, you will need to compensate for the filter. Typically in those situations I subtract the ND from the exposure, so, for instance, with a 2 stop ND, sunny 16 becomes sunny 8.
  • KapejiKapeji Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 8, 2007
    I take a reading of the land without the filter in place, set the camera to manual at that reading, pop the filter on and shoot, taking a reading with the filter in place negates the effect the filter has, i.e. to darken the sky by 1-3 stops.

http://www.great-landscape-photography.com/graduated-filters.html

http://www.bryanhansel.com/articles/ndgrad.htm
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 11, 2007
    I'm with you Kapeji> Meter first, shoot in manual..

But then, I tend to handhold the grad ND also ( unless the shutter speed is too long for handheld shots ) - it is REALLY hard to discern the line of the grad ND without moving the grad ND filter up and down to allow one's eye to see precisely whre the gradient begins.

If you look through the viewfinder with a grad ND in place, try moving it up or down and see if you could see the gradient prior to moving it.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin