SubCatagory time and date stamps

jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
edited April 8, 2008 in SmugMug Support
Greetings and a happy Monday!

For the events I do, I find creating a subCatagory defining the event underneath a catagory works best so I can have the seperate galleries beneth defined as each run group and type..

On larger events, it might take me a few weeks to get through all the pics and get them uploaded and so the last gallery uploaded is the most recent date, but I like to keep them listed in order.

What I found interesting and hadn't noticed before is that the topmost gallery is the one used to list the updated timestamp if you are in the catagory page seeing all the events listed.

(example, if my descriptions is lame)

catagory view
http://jwwwebdesign.smugmug.com/SCCA%20Club%20Racing

subcatagory view

http://jwwwebdesign.smugmug.com/SCCA%20Club%20Racing/318116

What I have done is just upload another pic in the first gallery and then remove it... and it updates the time and solves the issue. So I guess I'm just passing on that it might be handy if the catagory view pulled the most current updated gallery beneth rather than the topmost one.

So excuse the post as I dunno if this is a bug or a feature request, or just find it funny that I just figured this out and get a good laugh!! :wink

..as always, thanks for your time!

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 22, 2007
    You are absolutely correct and this is an item that is asked about on a regular basis. Just as the feature photo of the gallery in first position will be the one displayed for the category or sub category.

We thank you for posting this thumb.gif
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    You are absolutely correct and this is an item that is asked about on a regular basis. Just as the feature photo of the gallery in first position will be the one displayed for the category or sub category.

Steve

Not a problem! ..and thanks for the heads up on the feature photo, I am a bit amazed that I never noticed that as well! ..that would be awesome if the feature photo could be out of any of the galleries in a catagory or subcatagory...

However... it just came to me that adding a new gallery at the beginning that consists of my favorite pics from the event would do just the trick and be a great workaround for both issues!!!! mwink.gif

Thanks!!
  • coleygmcoleygm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 7, 2008

Steve

Is there a way to now change the timestamps to reflect the most recent photo uploaded? IE i have Singular categories, with multiple sub categories, and then even more galleries under which of the subs. ...however the time-stamp on the Category seems to be the date I first created the category...even though i may have just uploaded a photo to a gallery many layers beneath it. It confuses potential customers though who are browsing and think that no new photo's have been added since the time the category was created....follow me?

anyway, a few customers have asked me about this so i wonder how many sales I'm losing because of it. I guess i should just turn on the 'Clean' option on all my areas, but it's nice to see how many photo's and all that stuff too...so I'm sure hoping there is a fix here.

thanks in advance
  • coleygmcoleygm Registered Users Posts: 88 Big grins
    edited April 8, 2008
    coleygm wrote:
    Is there a way to now change the timestamps to reflect the most recent photo uploaded? IE i have Singular categories, with multiple sub categories, and then even more galleries under which of the subs. ...however the time-stamp on the Category seems to be the date I first created the category...even though i may have just uploaded a photo to a gallery many layers beneath it. It confuses potential customers though who are browsing and think that no new photo's have been added since the time the category was created....follow me?

anyway, a few customers have asked me about this so i wonder how many sales I'm losing because of it. I guess i should just turn on the 'Clean' option on all my areas, but it's nice to see how many photo's and all that stuff too...so I'm sure hoping there is a fix here.

thanks in advance

From this I've found that the latest time stamp on the category is that of the first positioned sub-category within. Thusly the sub-categories time stamp is that of the first positioned gallery within it.

So, by re-arranging the sub-categories and galleries, you can get the correct time stamp on the category and sub-category levels. ...this is not ideal by any means of course.

so...does anyone know how to automatically make this work...and/or any plans to fix this issue in the future?

thanks