New Nikon D80: what about Raw?

SnapperSnapper Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
edited May 25, 2007 in Cameras
Greetings!

I'm seriously considering a near-new D80 that has become available so I can take my first steps into DSLR photography. It seems an ideal deal.

One thing I can't seem to find a definitive answer about on Nikon's website is to do with processing Raw images. I understand the D80 uses an encrypted Raw format: does the software that's included with the D80 (PictureProject) process Raw images?

If not, I also have Photoshop CS with Adobe Camera Raw 2.0. If PictureProject does not process Raw, will ACB do it for me?

Many thanks!
Ian

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    Hopefully a Nikon expert will chime in. The 'encryption' is not encrypting the file, it has some other use, that has nothing to do with converting RAW to JPEG. Most converters support this camera and Nikon RAW. CS2 is one of them, don't worry.

I don't know about the Nikon software, I was under the impression that you had to purchase the Nikon RAW converter, but I may be mistaken.
  • LexLex Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    I like Capture NX next to Adobe CSII or higher Camera Raw

You may need CSII or higher as far as CS goes, I don't know.
    I have a D80, but I do CSIII now, I never could process raw with CS though, it took CSII or higher I thought...
    Doug
    Snapper wrote:
    Greetings!

I'm seriously considering a near-new D80 that has become available so I can take my first steps into DSLR photography. It seems an ideal deal.

One thing I can't seem to find a definitive answer about on Nikon's website is to do with processing Raw images. I understand the D80 uses an encrypted Raw format: does the software that's included with the D80 (PictureProject) process Raw images?

If not, I also have Photoshop CS with Adobe Camera Raw 2.0. If PictureProject does not process Raw, will ACB do it for me?

Many thanks!
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    Oops sorry didnt read that carefully: CS2 has the ACR updates for the Nikon D80, I do not believe ACR is compatible with CS, only CS2. You should give Adode Lightroom a spin, it is a nice tool, and does support the D80...you can get a 30 trial..
  • ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    I process all my RAW's in Adobe PS2, Picture Capture does not convert to JPEG, but it lets you edit your shots as is. I had my D80 for the last 6 month, no problems! :D
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    Hey Snapper...

In case you haven't figured this out already, yes, Picture Project can read and edit Nikon's raw file, the ".NEF" file, as Marina said above, and can also convert to .jpg. To convert, either make your corrections to the nef file, and then you must "export" the file, from the "file" menu, which does the conversion to either jpg or tif.

(With the older Nikon View, which is still superior on a lot of ways, one had to buy the "Capture" software in order to be able to read a .nef file., but no longer.)

I do also suggest that you get eventually the Capture softwware, which includes and Editor and a Camera Contol, and then also eventually the newer version, Capture NX, a new software designed from the ground up especially for use with the nef files. It rivals Photoshop as far as photo correcting is concered, but NX is not a layered project software like Photoshop. (as far as I've discovered.....
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    I use Adobe Camera raw in CS2 for my D80 NEF files. Works like a charm.
    Cheers,
    Monte