Bracketing help?

NewCreation517NewCreation517 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited May 21, 2007 in Finishing School
I was browsing through a photographer's portfolio, and was absolutely stunned by the amount of color and detail in his photos. I asked him how he accomplished this, and he said "photo bracketing" and then compressing the photos into one single image.

So I've done research and I am pretty sure I know now what bracketing is (a series of photos with different exposures), but I still do not know how to compress these photos into one single spectacular file. I'm using a 20D, for what it's worth. Is there a tutorial or some kind Grinner who would help me to learn?

Thanks!
Not there yet, but I've passed the start ...

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited May 21, 2007
    There are a couple of different approaches. One uses high dynamic range (HDR) software to combine multiple exposures of the same scene into one image. Later versions of Photoshop and Photomatix are frequently used. The advantage of these programs is that it automates the process.

A second approach is to manually open several exposures as separate layers and then combine them using a combination of masks, opacity and blending modes. There are many different methods. The trick is to find the right combination of those parts of each layer with the best detail without showing abrupt transitions or simply making the result look weird.

Both approaches require that the exposures be aligned exactly, so shooting with a good tripod is advisable. For best results, nothing in the frame should be in motion.

This is a big topic. I suggest you do a Google search for HDR and also look at Dan Margulis's LAB and Professional Photoshop books for discussions of using channels as masks.

Cheers,