Possible submissions

kingmamaof2kingmamaof2 Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
edited May 23, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hey Guys,

Well, without a theme, I've kinda been stuck in the mud on ideas. :dunno Here are a few I've come up with, I'd love to hear suggestions for improvement. Thanks in advance!

1. I love the composition on this one, probably my fave.
154874911-M.jpg

2. I was going for 'timeless' on this one.
154641951-L.jpg

3. a feather on the water
154644298-M.jpg

4. a refraction, not photoshopped!:D
154909949-M.jpg

5. another refraction on a rose petal
154881159-M.jpg

Comments

• tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    Wow. These are great. I like #2; #3; and #5 . On #2 the sky is kind of blown out--if you could PS it, it might improve the image a bit--still a great a image!!

Excellent Refractions!!!

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    They're all good!

Very cute!!! thumb.gif

Is just OK. Not as good as the others. The blown our sky is a distraction.

Lovely!! thumb.gif

Great concept but #5 is MUCH better!

AWESOME!!! thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    lps sf1
    Wow, you've done well! I like how the first one tells a story - I bet viewers are going to look at it and come up with some comment, (my thought was: "sheesh, get a room!") Second one is very sweet - makes me smile how the 'cracks' line up! Third one is exquisitely simple and eyecatching, however I think the clouds detract from the feather. Your refractions are incredible. I don't believe I've ever seen this creative angle! I'd lean more toward the red one, since red rose means love and also the higher contrast in color.

dang, nice job.

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    Wow!
    I'm speechless! bowdown.gif
    #5!deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • kingmamaof2kingmamaof2 Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    Thanks for the comments everyone.:-) I think I'm going to try a few more refractions on different things...I love the baby in a dew drop idea even though my husband *hates* it. lol I'll keep at it...or heck, I may not...I don't knowheadscratch.gifD You guys are great!
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    of the shots, I like #5 the best. It is dramatic and pulls you in, although, IMHO, I think the distortion of the head/arm is a bit much. You don't see the distortion as much in #4 b/c the baby is smaller, but the composition is stronger in the red and the (dew) drop looks more believable in the red shot as well.

I also really like #3. I think it is a classic shot; but have to agree w/ TessaD about the clouds - it seems like they need to be a bit more separated from the feather. I also think there could be a bit more definition in the feather itself (but the reflection is great).

#2 is cute - but, as has been mentioned, the sky is blown. I also think the feathers in the wings are also blown out. Also, it seems odd to me that the best focus is on his cute little rear. Would the back of the head or the wings be better?

#1 is a fun shot, but, IMO, a couple of the others are better...

all-in-all, great attempts and you're well on your waythumb.gif

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm speechless! bowdown.gif

I agree. Well, I am not totally speachless. These all have that elusive "wow" factor to one degree or another. Probably #5 has the most. and is the best candidate out of the bunch. Personally, though, I love #1. The composition is wonderful and the black and white works beautifully. The viewer is quietly drawn into the photo.

Virginia

Email
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    Doesn't look like you're stuck in the mud to me!!!! Great shots! I love #1....tells a great story. #2 is cute, but not there. #3 I like a lot...wish the clouds weren't involved. It's very striking. I love both of the refractions for different reasons. I like the composition of #4 and the baby is better proportioned. #5 is a little too centered, but you have the extra water drops and its red. I want to say go with #1, but the refractions take more 'effort' on your part to capture, so there is that to think about. Very nice shots...good luck!!! :D
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    These are really amazing shots, and I agree with what the others have said.

My personal favourite is #3 for it's pure simplicity. I think that the feather may look better in the lower right corner rather than mixed in with the clouds.

I only wish I was as stuck in the mud as you are rolleyes1.gif
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2007
    I like #5 the best, however, IMHO I think it would be better without being able to see the border of the photo of the baby. Blend it in somehow so the baby appears to be a more natural looking part of the rain drop.

Just my opinion and bet of luck to you in the next round.
  • amy wilburnamy wilburn Registered Users Posts: 83 Big grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    I almost feel like I should pick #5, it really is something else, has the wow factor and all...but #1 is my fave. I really like the composition. I could see #1 on sale somewhere...
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    My favorite is #3, but I think the clouds distract a bit from the feather. #4 and #5 are also really cool, but they appear photoshopped; if you're not familiar with this type of macro work. With our judges, that may not matter. I like the composition a bit better in #4, with the colors in #5.
    Chris
  • DalantechDalantech Registered Users Posts: 1,519 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    I almost feel like I should pick #5, it really is something else, has the wow factor and all...but #1 is my fave. I really like the composition. I could see #1 on sale somewhere...

Ditto...
    My SmugMug Gallery

Looking for tips on macro photography? Check out my Blog: No Cropping Zone.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    Yep. #1 is flat-out hilarious! rolleyes1.gif
  • adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    my picky little comments are below...
    Hey Guys,
    Well, without a theme, I've kinda been stuck in the mud on ideas. ne_nau.gif
    154881159-M.jpg
    oh yeah! I know that feeling headscratch.gif
    Here are a few I've come up with, I'd love to hear suggestions for improvement. Thanks in advance!

1. I love the composition on this one, probably my fave.
    154881159-M.jpg
    I like the composition too - the stone is a tiny bit blown out (on my new monitor YMMV) Probably my fav too.
    2. I was going for 'timeless' on this one. 154881159-M.jpg
    blown out again (see above) - the tree line is just in the wrong place.

3. a feather on the water 154881159-M.jpg
    nice
    4. a refraction, not photoshopped!:D 154881159-M.jpg
    not my sort of thing.
    5. another refraction on a rose petal154881159-M.jpg
    I don't see 5.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited May 23, 2007
    I love the first one. It’s just a tad overexposed. Can you get a little structure back into the foreground?
    Robert