Totally unique lacrosse pictures...

BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
edited May 26, 2007 in Sports
It was time for the annual Boys vs. Girls end of the year Lacrosse game. This is one of the best nights of the season. The local rec girls team plays the local rec boys team in a scrimmage. The key to the game...they have to play by the girls rules and they have to switch sticks..girls use the guys and guys use the girls. If you don't know lacrosse..the girls stick is harder to use (the pocket/net is not as deep as the one the guys use. in order to keep the ball in a girls pocket they have to cradle or twist the stick as they run). The pocket on the guys stick is much deeper...easier to catch the ball, and easier to run with the ball. In addition to the stick exchange...there was no "checking" allowed in the game tonight. And the winner of the game ...the girls 8-7 in overtime. FYI the girls were wearing the white shirts....155111922-L.jpg

155068284-L.jpg

155111238-L.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    It was time for the annual Boys vs. Girls end of the year Lacrosse game. This is one of the best nights of the season. The local rec girls team plays the local rec boys team in a scrimmage. The key to the game...they have to play by the girls rules and they have to switch sticks..girls use the guys and guys use the girls. If you don't know lacrosse..the girls stick is harder to use (the pocket/net is not as deep as the one the guys use. in order to keep the ball in a girls pocket they have to cradle or twist the stick as they run). The pocket on the guys stick is much deeper...easier to catch the ball, and easier to run with the ball. In addition to the stick exchange...there was no "checking" allowed in the game tonight. And the winner of the game ...the girls 8-7 in overtime. FYI the girls were wearing the white shirts....

Hooray for the Girls cheerleader.gifcheerleader.gif
    Why are the sticks different for the boys than the girls if they play the same game headscratch.gif .... cause this would mean the girls in fact were playing with a disadvantage yet they won clap.gif

Thanks for sharing........ Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited May 22, 2007
    Thanks for replying Skippy...

To answer your question about the different sticks....In a typical game of girl vs. girl the stick used by the girls has a very shallow pocket to hold the ball, therefore the girls must "cradle" the ball in the pocket by twisting the stick back & forth as they old the stick. The centrifugal force caused by the twisting of the stick keeps the ball from falling out of the pocket.

In a boys vs. boys game the boys use a stick with a very deep pocket that holds the ball without the twisting motion. However, in the boys game they can flat out knock the living daylights out of their opponent. They can hit them with their sticks as long as they do not hit them in the head. In girls lacrosse you can only "check" the opppsing players stick, you cannot hit their body. When the girls check, they can holy check when the opponent has the ball and is holding below the shoulder. A "check" above the shoulder is a foul.

In the boys vs. girls game the girls used the boys stick ( deeper pocket, easier to hold) and the boys used the girls stick ( shallow pocket, harder to hold and the boys had no skill cradling the ball).

Hope this helped (if you care:D)

I wish the pictures were better, but I am getting nowhere with my photography skills, I must not be cradling the camera properly!
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Hooray for the Girls cheerleader.gifcheerleader.gif
    Why are the sticks different for the boys than the girls if they play the same game headscratch.gif .... cause this would mean the girls in fact were playing with a disadvantage yet they won clap.gif

Thanks for sharing........ Skippy :D

Thats a good question, of all the sports I covered there could not be a boys and girls version more different than lacrosse.
    Its not just the equipment, its like a totally different set of rules, field markings, they look similar from a quick look but they have tons of different things that set them apart.
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    I wish the pictures were better, but I am getting nowhere with my photography skills, I must not be cradling the camera properly!

Karen's Quick Sports Photograhpy Tips:
    1) Faces, faces faces (meaning you want faces in the camera, typically game action happening towards you)

2) Backgrounds: keep them clean and uncluttered so the attention of the picture is focused on the action and not some fan in an orange jacket.

3) keep it tight! the big green grass field isnt really that interesting. Some people keep it loose because they want people to buy what ever size, but in my opinon if you take a great photo people will buy what ever size you give it to em in!!!

4) Dont stop shooting (most of the time) if you take time to chimp through your photos during a sporting game you are missing action!!! Action happens in between plays and for sports you only get an hour or two to shoot. So take advantage of it all! If you are outside you may want to check periodically on your settings, especailly if the sun has moved or you have moved positions and the light is different but other than that keep the camera up and shoot everything sport action, the water boy fans cheering in the stands!!!

I dont know if you were looking for this advice, but I give it for free!!!
    Alot of this i figured out on my own so if I can help speed up someone elses learning process then great!

If you keep these 4 things in mind your pictures will start improving right away. Look in sports illustrated and what kind of photos do they show, or look through some of the galleries at www.sportshooter.com (althought not all are good examples) to get ideas of what makes a good sports photo.
  • BlueHoseJacketBlueHoseJacket Registered Users Posts: 509 Major grins
    edited May 25, 2007
    thanks winger

I typically take about 250 to 300 shots during a typical lacrosse game. I have got several good shots composition wise, my problem seems to be with lighting, focus and basic camera settings. I think that a part (probably a small part) of my problem is my equipment or lack thereof. I have a Canon XT and will typically shoot with my 70-200 L f/4., it does not have IS and I do not have a collar for the lense nor do I have a monopod.
  • wmstummewmstumme Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited May 26, 2007
    I typically take about 250 to 300 shots during a typical lacrosse game. I have got several good shots composition wise, my problem seems to be with lighting, focus and basic camera settings. I think that a part (probably a small part) of my problem is my equipment or lack thereof. I have a Canon XT and will typically shoot with my 70-200 L f/4., it does not have IS and I do not have a collar for the lense nor do I have a monopod.

What were the EXIF on the shots? Are you shooting manual, sports setting, etc?

I'm no expert, but you shouldn't have too many issues with handholding a 200mm. I think a monopod for that lens would be more hassle than benefit.

As far as focus goes, I like set the camera so that I'm using only the center focus point. That seems to help me keep focus on what--with the quick movements in Lax, you can have unwelcome subjects pop up in the frame very quickly. However, I usually have my point of interest at the center of the frame.
    Regards

Will